Cody Greenhill signs with Washington Nationals

Cody Greenhill pitching against Samford on April 21, 2021. Photo via: Grace Schinsing/AU Athletics

Steven Williams won’t be the only former Auburn Tiger headed to the nation’s capital as Cody Greenhill signed a free-agent deal with the Washington Nationals on Thursday.

Greenhill is the fifth member of Auburn’s 2021 team to sign with an MLB team joining draftees Ryan Bliss, Richard Fitts, Tyler Miller and Williams.

During his four seasons at Auburn, Greenhill was primarily used out of the bullpen for the Tigers. The Russellville, Alabama, native finished his time on The Plains with a 2.78 ERA, 20 saves and an 11-6 record in 66 appearances on 178 innings.

The 20 saves by Greenhill are tied for the fourth-most in program history, and he is just outside the top-10 in ERA and appearances.

In 2021, Greenhill began the season as a starter before suffering an injury and went back into a bullpen role. The senior finished 2021 with a 3-0 record on the mound and led the Tigers with a 3.28 ERA in 13 pitching appearances.

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Cody Greenhill signs with Washington Nationals” on social media.