Jack Owen inks deal with Oakland Athletics

<p>Jack Owen (44) pitches for Auburn against Texas A&amp;M on May 14, 2021 at Plainsman Park; Auburn, AL</p>

Jack Owen (44) pitches for Auburn against Texas A&M on May 14, 2021 at Plainsman Park; Auburn, AL

A day after Cody Greenhill signed a free agent contract, another Auburn pitcher has done the same as Jack Owen signed a free-agent deal with the Oakland Athletics on Friday.

Owen is the sixth member of Auburn’s 2021 team to sign with a professional team joining draftees Ryan Bliss, Richard Fitts, Tyler Miller, Steven Williams and the previously mentioned free agent signing in Greenhill. 

During his four seasons with the Tigers, Owen made 43 pitching appearances and finished with an 11-10 record in 30 starts. He also finished his career at Auburn with a 4.26 ERA and 165 strikeouts in 175.1 innings pitched.

The 2021 season saw Owen miss the entirety of nonconference play with a dislocated thumb, but he returned for SEC play. Despite missing nonconference play, the senior led the Tigers in both strikeouts and innings pitched as he recorded 46 strikeouts and pitched 51 innings.

Overall, he made nine starts and 11 appearances in 2021, finishing with a 2-5 record and a 5.47 ERA.

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Jack Owen inks deal with Oakland Athletics” on social media.