Nix, Bigsby named to Maxwell Award watch list

<p>Tank Bigsby (4) getting chased by a defender during the game between Auburn and Texas A&amp;M at Jordan Hare Stadium on Dec. 5, 2020; Auburn AL, USA. Photo via: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics</p>

Tank Bigsby (4) getting chased by a defender during the game between Auburn and Texas A&M at Jordan Hare Stadium on Dec. 5, 2020; Auburn AL, USA. Photo via: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Preseason expectations are high for Bo Nix and Tank Bigsby in the duo’s first season under head coach Bryan Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo. 

Nix and Bigsby were named to the Maxwell Award watch list on Monday, which is given annually to the best player in college football. 

The Maxwell Award has been given out since 1937, and Cam Newton took home the honor in 2010. To date, Newton is the only Auburn player to win the Maxwell. 

As a sophomore in 2020, Nix started in all 11 games and passed for 2,415 yards with 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He also completed 214-of-357 passes for a completion percentage of 60%.

On the ground, Nix rushed for 388 yards and seven touchdowns on 108 attempts.

For Bigsby, he burst out onto the scene in 2020. In 10 games, the true freshman rushed for 834 yards and five touchdowns on 138 carries.

At the end of the season, Bigsby was named the Co-SEC Freshman of the Year and earned a spot on the All-SEC Freshman team at running back and all-purpose.

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Nix, Bigsby named to Maxwell Award watch list” on social media.