Sharife Cooper drafted by Atlanta Hawks in 2021 NBA Draft

Jan 21, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers guard Sharife Cooper (2) reacts after the game during the game between Auburn and Missouri at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Sharife Cooper is headed home. 

The Atlanta Hawks drafted the Powder Springs, Georgia, native during Thursday’s NBA Draft. The Hawks took Cooper in the second round with the No. 48 overall pick. 

The point guard played in 12 games for the Tigers averaging 20.2 points, 8.1 assists and 4.3 rebounds on an average of 33 minutes per game. At the end of the season, Cooper was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team by the conference’s coaches.

In his lone season with Auburn, Cooper missed the first 11 games because his initial eligibility was under review by the NCAA. After being cleared to play, his season came to an early end after suffering an ankle injury in February, which forced him to miss the final four games of the season.  

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Sharife Cooper drafted by Atlanta Hawks in 2021 NBA Draft” on social media.