Auburn Area Community Theatre to kick off season with 'End Days'

<p>The Jan Dempsey Community Arts Center on Aug. 18, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The Jan Dempsey Community Arts Center on Aug. 18, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn Area Community Theatre is putting on its first show of the season, ‘End Days’, directed by Andrea Holliday, with opening night scheduled for tomorrow night at 7 p.m at the Jan Dempsey Community Arts Center.

Theatergoers will have four opportunities to watch the dark comedic production from Aug. 19-21 beginning at 7 p.m. and a matinee showing on Aug. 22 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $12 for adults and $10 for students and seniors.

The show is set in 2003 following a dysfunctional family heavily affected by the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, with comedic anecdotes from characters such as Steven Hawking and an Elvis impersonator.

Holliday, AACT’s artistic director, said ‘End Days’ is a different genre from AACT’s previous productions.

“You have to get outside the box sometimes,” she said. “Sometimes you have to ‘feed’ your actors with something more complex and challenging.”

The show is recommended for an audience aged 13+.

The community arts center is observing COVID-19 safety precautions with social distancing in place and adjustments to the box office process. Audiences are encouraged to wear masks but are not required to do so. Despite the pandemic, Holliday ticket sales are meeting expectations.

“I have been in love with these characters, this story for a long time,” she said.

Those interested in attending a showing of ‘End Days’ may purchase tickets online at auburnact.org. AACT is assigning seats for the production on a "first-ordered, first-served" basis, according to its website.

Ansley Franco | Community Writer

Ansley Franco, junior in journalism, is a community writer for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn Area Community Theatre to kick off season with 'End Days'” on social media.