Auburn rec center hosts annual MOVE event

<p>Aubie helps demonstrate a pose during a free yoga class held on the campus green, on&nbsp;Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Aubie helps demonstrate a pose during a free yoga class held on the campus green, on Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn University Recreation and Wellness Center hosted its annual event, MOVE on Sept. 28, 2021. The Rec hosts this event every year, which consists of two free fitness classes available to students and members of the rec. 

Lisa Padgett, coordinator of fitness at the rec center, is also one of the coordinators of MOVE.

“Our goal was to get group fitness out there so that we can show people what we have," she said. "So, we have tried to offer certain things and to be more visible by exercising outside.”

This year, the two classes offered were, Yoga at The Plex on Sept. 28, as well as a Butts and Guts class that will be hosted on October 19. The rec asks attendees to bring water and a yoga mat. It also offers the opportunity to attend fitness classes without having to purchase a group fitness pass. 

Both of these fitness classes are offered year-round at the rec, however, classes are usually only available to those who purchase a fitness pass. Fitness passes are offered at $25 for a one-month pass or $50 for a semester pass. 

“We wanted people to be able to bring their friends and have a good time, and there were people here who have never taken yoga before, and we just want to provide a friendly, no-pressure environment," Padgett said. 

This year, the event was held at the new Auburn Sportsplex, which opened in June 2020. In previous years, the event was hosted at the green space in front of Jordan-Hare Stadium, as well as in the village. 

Sarah Goodwin, coordinator of fitness and Auburn Strong, said the main goal of this event was to bring fitness outside of the walls of the rec and make the classes more accessible to students.

According to the official Auburn Rec and Wellness Center website, the yoga class is described as a class designed to “enhance your overall strength, balance, and flexibility. Emphasis is placed on the breath while holding the poses and attention to relaxation at the end of class will have you feeling centered and restored." 

Aubie made an appearance at this year's event, and according to Padgett, this is not uncommon as Aubie has attended MOVE for the past several years as well.

“We feel good about this year’s turnout, but it is not about the numbers for us, it is more about the experience and supporting our program, '' Padgett said. 

Both Padgett and Goodwin also instruct classes at the rec center. Padgett teaches yoga while Goodwin specializes in strength-based classes like TigerPump. 

TigerPump, another class offered at the rec, consists of strength and weight training designed to target different muscle groups.

The next event hosted by MOVE and the rec center will be Butts and Guts on Oct. 19, at Field 13 of the Auburn Sportsplex.

According to the rec center website, Butts and Guts is designed to be a “super effective, fun, and thorough lower body and core workout. Using a variety of exercises and equipment, this class will help you tone and tighten your glutes and strengthen your abdominals and lower back."

Kara Mautz | Culture Writer

Kara Mautz, senior in human development and family studies with a minor in journalism, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn rec center hosts annual MOVE event” on social media.