Auburn volleyball loses its second in-conference match

Auburn volleyball continued its in-conference losing streak to No. 20 Tennessee in straight sets. 

Blocking on each side of the net kept each team on its toes. Tatum Shipes lead the Tigers with six from the overall 10 total. The Lady Vols are usually known for their blocking as they lead in the Southeastern Conference, however, the Tigers were able to hold them at four. 

Set one was opened by Tennessee who gained four kills off the bat. The Tigers attempted a battle back cutting up to a 10-6 trail with kills from graduate student Liz Reich. Reich was Auburn's most efficient hitter of the night going 8-for-23 on kills. Despite her continued effort, Tennessee pulled away and finished the set 25-16 with a 0.300 hitting percentage. 

Auburn took the first lead in set two for the only time in the match thanks to junior Rebekah Rath. Rath led the match with nine kills and also helped with three blocks. Tennessee quickly answered going on a 5-0 run. Set two highlighted Shipes skill and Auburn's defense with four blocks to bring the Tigers within one. The two kept within each other and tied 17-17 on a Reich kill, but ultimately the Lady Vols took the set 25-21. 

The final set was powerhouse by Tennessee who started 7-0 and would later go on a 8-0 run to hold a strong lead. Auburn's offense was no match and lost the set 25-14.

Auburn will continue its SEC play in the Iron Bowl of volleyball with back-to-back matches against Alabama starting Saturday, Oct. 2 and continuing Sunday, Oct. 3 at 4:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. CST respectfully. 

Mattison Allen | Assistant Sports Editor

Mattison is a senior majoring in Public Relations from Springville, Alabama. She has been part of The Auburn Plainsman since 2019. 

Twitter: @mattcurtlynn

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball loses its second in-conference match” on social media.