Carly Thatcher wins SEC Freshman of the Week

Sep 9, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Carly Thatcher (7) scores a goal during the game between Auburn and Alabama A&M at Auburn Soccer Complex. Mandatory Credit: Matthew Shannon/AU Athletics

Carly Thatcher, Auburn’s freshman forward from Greer, South Carolina, won SEC Freshman of the Week honors Monday.

Thatcher appeared in a season-high 27 minutes against Alabama A&M last Thursday, and made every second count.

While on the pitch, Thatcher recorded the 14th hat trick in program history, scoring three of the team’s five goals against Alabama A&M. Her first two goals were in a span of 30 seconds, for her first and second goals of her Auburn career. 

Thatcher and No. 10 Auburn will look to rebound after a close loss to No. 1 Florida State on Sunday, with a home match against Georgia on Friday Sept. 17 at 6:30 CST. 

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Carly Thatcher wins SEC Freshman of the Week” on social media.