4-star forward Chance Westry commits to Auburn

<p>Bruce Pearl greets fans at Tip Off at Toomer's on Oct. 7, 2021, from Auburn, AL, USA.</p>

Bruce Pearl greets fans at Tip Off at Toomer's on Oct. 7, 2021, from Auburn, AL, USA.

Auburn basketball is already making waves for next season as it landed the commitment of 4-star small forward Chance Westry on Sunday.

He announced the decision live on his local news.

Westry, a Pennsylvania native and member of the 2022 class, chose the Tigers over LSU, Nebraska, Arizona State, a reported million-dollar offer from Australia's National Basketball League and a six-figure deal from Overtime Elite. 

For once, Auburn won the battle against the million-dollar offers that have swayed other top Auburn target in the past. A possible derivative of the new NIL laws in college sports.

Westry averaged 23.8 points per game in his sophomore year at Trinity High School. He made the move to Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix for his senior season where he will commence play tomorrow night for the first game of the season.

He was ranked as a four-star recruit on both 247Sports and Rivals where he’s listed as both a small forward and a point guard. He had 18 total offers before choosing to head to the Plains to further his career. 

On Rivals, Westry is the 26th best player in the 2022 class.

When he announced his commitment, he noted that Auburn University is where a few current NBA players went to college, and said that was a heavy part of his decision to join Bruce Pearl and the Tigers. 

"It's just a school of the guards," Westry said. "I just felt like it was home."

Larry Robinson | Photo Editor

Larry is a senior studying journalism with a minor in sociology. He is from Enterprise, Alabama and is in his third year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @ReportingLarry

Share and discuss “4-star forward Chance Westry commits to Auburn” on social media.