Allen Flanigan and Jabari Smith selected to All-SEC teams

On Tuesday, the Southeastern Conference announced its 18th annual men’s basketball coaches preseason All-SEC First and Second teams. Ahead of the 2021-2022 season, Auburn had two selections. 

Auburn’s Allen Flanigan, a junior power forward, was selected to the All-SEC First Team. Flanigan will start the season on the sidelines, as he is recovering from successful surgery on his Achilles. 

When Flanigan returns, he gives Auburn plenty of scoring prowess. Flanigan is the SEC’s fourth-leading returning scorer and will be Auburn’s longest-tenured starter. Last season, Flanigan was one of only three SEC players to average 14 points, 5.5 boards and 2.5 assists per game. 

Auburn freshman Jabari Smith, who has yet to play a second of Auburn hoops, was named to the All-SEC Second Team.

Smith is Auburn’s highest-rated recruit ever and is projected to be a top pick in the 2022 NBA Draft. 

Before coming to Auburn, the Georgia native was a Naismith First-Team All-American and the highest-rated player in his home state. In 2021, he was Mr. Basketball in the state of Georgia. 

Auburn is one of six SEC programs to have multiple selections.

The Tigers begin their season in 10 days, when the team takes on Southern Indiana at home on November 5. 

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Allen Flanigan and Jabari Smith selected to All-SEC teams” on social media.