Auburn continues fall ball slate with win over AUM

<p>Number 27 (Rylie Moody) up at bat and is able to hit the ball for a single.</p>

Number 27 (Rylie Moody) up at bat and is able to hit the ball for a single.

Auburn kept rolling through its fall ball schedule on Sunday, defeating Auburn University Montgomery in a 10-inning matchup at Jane B. Moore Field in Auburn, Alabama, with a final score of 8-1.  

The start of the game promised an entertaining afternoon, with both pitchers off to solid starts. Sophomore Shelby Lowe got the start for the Tigers and went for six innings. During those six innings, Lowe allowed no runs, six hits and recorded six strikeouts. 

Both Samantha Yarbrough and K.K. Dismukes also appeared in the game, with each pitching two innings. Yarbrough also pitched shut-out ball, and Dismukes allowed only one run in the top of the 10th inning.  

AUM’s Alanna Goble got the start for the Warhawks and pitched a collective 4 1/3 innings. During her time in the circle, Goble allowed two runs (both off of home runs), four hits and recorded two strikeouts with a walk. 

Morgan Ferguson and Avery Dickerson also received time in the circle for the Warhawks. Ferguson pitched 4 2/3 innings, while Dickerson appeared for one inning.  

The exciting action, besides the performance by the pitchers, started for the Tigers in the bottom of the third inning. Rose Roach started the bottom of the inning off by drawing a walk. Kelsey Schmidt then hit a two-run homerun, putting the Tigers up 2-0. Schmidt finished the game going 3-for-4 with two home runs and a single. Nelia Peralta accounted for the other Auburn home run, but finished the game going 1-4.  

A string of singles in the eighth inning, plus a walk with the bases loaded, put up a four spot for the Tigers, bringing their total to 8-0 when the inning came to an end. Auburn eventually conceded a run to AUM in the top of the tenth inning, but the Tigers held their lead to win the game.  

The next fall ball game will be held on Friday, Oct. 15, at Jane B. Moore Field against Bevill State Community College. The first pitch will be thrown at 5 p.m. CST, with attendance to the game open to the public.

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Auburn continues fall ball slate with win over AUM” on social media.