Auburn soccer plays host LSU

No. 19 Marissa Arias back heels the ball to an Auburn forward advancing behind her.

Following a 1-0 win in Starkville against Mississippi State, the No. 22 Auburn Tigers will look to continue their positive momentum as they welcome unranked LSU to the Auburn Soccer Complex.

The Bayou Bengals have lost their last four games and their most recent game was a 4-1 blowout against Texas A&M.

Auburn has been inconsistent in SEC play, as they are 3-2 and have yet to win multiple games in a row. Auburn will look to change that against LSU.

Players to watch:

LSU:

Tinaya Alexander is the leader of LSU’s offense, as she leads the Bayou Bengals in points with 17 on the season, totaling seven goals and three assists. Alesia Garcia is right behind her with 13 points on the season, totaling five goals and three assists.

Defensively, the two players to watch out for are Chiara Ritchie-Williams and Shannon Cooke. Those two are LSU’s most played players, as they have played 949 minutes and 842 minutes on the season, respectively.

LSU’s starting goalie is Mollee Swift, she's allowed 12 goals on the season, averaging 1.10 goals allowed per game. She will be looking to bounce back from a tough performance against Texas A&M, as she allowed the Aggies to put up four goals. She will need to perform much better to give LSU a chance to pull off the road upset.

Auburn:

LSU gave up four goals in its last game, so look for Auburn’s attack led by Anna Haddock and Olivia Candelino to try and capitalize on what could be a potentially wounded defense.

LSU’s offense has struggled in SEC play, as in its five SEC games it's been shut out twice, scored only once twice and scored two goals in their other game. Auburn’s defense, led by M.E. Craven and Alyssa Malonson, has the potential to turn out one of its best games on Sunday.

Auburn goalie Maddie Prohaska has been reliable in some games of SEC play and not as reliable in others. In Auburn’s five SEC games, she has three clean sheets to her name but has allowed two goals (OT game), and three goals in the other game. LSU’s attack has struggled at times, so look for her to add another clean sheet and build confidence for the rest of SEC play.

How to watch:

When: Sunday at 2 p.m. CST

Where: Auburn Soccer Complex - Auburn, AL

TV/Online Streaming: SEC Network-plus.

Henry Patton | Sports Writer

Henry is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @Henry_Patton23

Share and discuss “Auburn soccer plays host LSU” on social media.