Auburn soccer ties Ole Miss on the road

<p>Oct. 21, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Sydney Richards (14) heads a ball while on the attack in a match between Arkansas and Auburn at the Auburn Soccer Complex.</p>

Oct. 21, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Sydney Richards (14) heads a ball while on the attack in a match between Arkansas and Auburn at the Auburn Soccer Complex.

No. 19 Auburn and No. 13 Ole Miss played to a 2-2 tie in a Top 20 match-up on Sunday in Oxford.

Because of the tie, both Auburn and Ole Miss left the game with one point each, so both improved in the Southeastern Conference standings despite neither team winning.

"That was a really hard-fought, well-earned point on the road against a tough Ole Miss team," said head coach Karen Hoppa. "We scored two great goals but unfortunately could not hold them off to get the win."

The Rebels started the scoring in the 33rd minute, but four minutes later Auburn responded with a goal from Anna Haddock, her ninth of the season, to make the score 1-1 at halftime.

After the intermission, the Tigers wasted no time going ahead, as Sydney Richards netted her sixth goal of the season in the 47th minute, two minutes after the second half started.

Auburn held its lead for the next 33 minutes until the Rebels were able to tie up the score in the 81st minute, and the game remained after the 90th minute, so the game went to overtime.

Auburn controlled the possession during the first overtime period, but neither team was able to get a good look on goal.

In the second overtime period, Maddie Prohaska made three saves in the final five minutes of the second overtime period to keep the score at 2-2, which ended up being the final.

Auburn played 17 different players with three of them playing the whole game, while three others played over 100 minutes.

The Tigers will close out their regular season on Thursday against Alabama in the Iron Bowl of soccer in Tuscaloosa. The game will air on SEC Network + at 7 p.m. CT.

"It's always exciting to close out the regular season with your biggest rival," Hoppa added. "It's a tough place to play, but we are excited for the challenge."

Henry Patton | Sports Writer

Henry is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @Henry_Patton23

Share and discuss “Auburn soccer ties Ole Miss on the road” on social media.