Auburn volleyball looks to continue SEC success

<p>Oct. 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn celebrates after scoring in a match between Auburn and Alabama in the Auburn Arena.</p>

Oct. 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn celebrates after scoring in a match between Auburn and Alabama in the Auburn Arena.

Auburn looks to claim a winning SEC record in its trip to Arkansas, facing the Razorbacks on Saturday, Oct. 9, and Sunday, Oct. 10.

With a current SEC record of 2-2, the Tigers will be looking to improve to a winning record in conference play after dropping all of their SEC matches in a COVID-shortened season last year. In fact, the last time the Tigers ended the season with a winning conference record happened in 2013. Arkansas is currently sitting with a 3-2 SEC record and is looking to improve on its winning conference record.  

So far in the season, both teams have fallen to the Tennessee Volunteers, while Auburn has also fallen to the Ole Miss Rebels. The Tigers are coming off a two-match sweep of Alabama to give them their two conference wins. Arkansas has taken a win over the Rebels while also taking down the LSU Tigers and the Georgia Bulldogs. Both teams are sitting similarly in conference play and overall records, so let’s break down some of the players to watch in the upcoming matches.  

Auburn: 

Rebekah Rath: As an outside hitter, Rath is currently one of the Tiger’s biggest offensive assets, and it shows in her SEC rankings. She is currently ranked second in the SEC with an average of 4.35 kills per set. Rath contributes in other areas, as shown in her number one rank in the conference in points per set, with an average of 5.10.  

Tatum Shipes: Coming fresh off of her SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors, Shipes seems to be settling into her role as a middle blocker well. Heading the Auburn defense at the net, Shipes is leading the SEC with an average of 1.59 blocks per set. 

Bella Rosenthall: Rosenthall has been a defensive leader for the Tigers this season in the libero position. She is closing the gap to the 1,000-dig club, only needing 14 to reach the mark. Rosenthall is also still sitting atop the SEC leaderboard in digs per set, with an average of 5.19.  

Arkansas: 

Jillian Gillen: So far this season, Gillen has been one of the Razorbacks’ rocks on offense. The outside hitter is sitting above Auburn’s Rebekah Rath in kills per set to be first in the conference, averaging 4.41. Coincidentally, Gillen is ranked only below Rath to be second in the SEC in points per set, averaging 5.05. 

Gracie Ryan: Setter Gracie Ryan has been the key to the offense this year. The orchestrator of the Razorbacks’ offense is sitting second in the conference in assists per set, with an average of 11.24. She will be looking to find ways around Auburn’s intimidating block come Saturday.  

Maggie Cartwright: Also an outside hitter, Cartwright is among the top hitters for the Razorbacks. However, she is also lethal at the service line. Cartwright is ranked second in the conference in aces per set, averaging 0.48. She accounts for 25 of the Razorbacks’ 97 season aces.  

Game Keys: 

As it has been all season, defense has been the key to Auburn’s success. The Tigers lead the SEC in opponent hitting percentage (.120) and allowed blocks per set (1.15). Auburn also ranks second in digs per set (16.27) and third in blocks per set (2.74). For the Tigers to really take control of this game, they need to get the offense going and for their attack attempts to find the floor, as they rank close to last in allowed digs per set in the conference. 

Arkansas seems to be a more balanced team, ranking third in the SEC with an .174 opponent hitting percentage as well as being fifth in the conference in assists per set (12.57), kills per set (13.16), and digs per set (15.05). However, one of the Razorbacks’ biggest weapons this season is at the service line. Arkansas is leading the conference in aces per set, with an average of 1.79. The Razorbacks need to look to shut down the Auburn offense and find holes in the defense to emerge victorious.  

The match on Saturday will start at 5 p.m. CST and the match Sunday will start at 3 p.m. CST. Both games will be available to watch on the SEC Network+.  

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball looks to continue SEC success” on social media.