Auburn volleyball swept by Arkansas

<p>Oct. 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Rebekah Rath (7) gently lifts the ball over the net in a match between Auburn and Alabama in the Auburn Arena.</p>

Oct. 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Rebekah Rath (7) gently lifts the ball over the net in a match between Auburn and Alabama in the Auburn Arena.

Auburn dropped its second straight match after falling 3-2 to Arkansas on Sunday afternoon. 

The Tigers took quick control of the game after winning the first two sets. The first two matchers were close, so the contest was far from over. As the final score indicates, Auburn was unable to take one last set and now holds a 10-6 record, with a 2-4 conference record. 

Arkansas safely controlled the last three sets of the game, winning each 25-15, 25-17 and 15-7. Auburn gave up 70 kills, which seems to be a common issue after giving up 66 to Arkansas the previous day. Auburn was only able to total 46 kills. 

However, Auburn was still a force at the net. Auburn had 17 blocks to just Arkansas’ five. Tatum Shipes had nine blocks and Elif Yavuz had eight blocks. Shipes’ 97 blocks this season puts her at fourth in Auburn single-season history.  

Rebekah Rath continued to dominate offensively. Rath and Arkansas’ Taylor Head led the game with 20 kills each. 

Jackie Barrett’s 26 assists and 16 digs marks her fifth consecutive double-double and eleventh for the season. 

Bella Rosenthall keeps racking up digs, as she once again hit the mark of 20 for the seventh time this season. Rosenthall tallied her 1000th career dig in the previous game. Freshmen Kate Curtis and Fallan Lanham each put in 15 and ten digs, respectively.  

Auburn returns to the court on Saturday in Auburn against Missouri, who carries a 3-14 (0-4) record. The game is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. CST and will be televised on SEC Network-plus. 

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball swept by Arkansas” on social media.