Auburn’s top 10 happy hour spots

<p>These locally-known happy hour spots are serving up drinks all week long.</p>

These locally-known happy hour spots are serving up drinks all week long.

Work hard, play hard: Auburn students agree they know how to do both. From widely renowned Auburn institutions to downtown newcomers, Auburn offers a variety of places to kick off a night out. 

As classes wind down and the weekend gets underway, here’s what Auburn students have to say about their favorite happy hour spots. 

Tacorita:
Tequila fans, meet Tacorita. Located in the heart of downtown Auburn, this contemporary Mexican spot features more than tacos. 

Tacorita boasts homemade margaritas in an array of flavors, a few being strawberry, blackberry and mango. Bartenders at the restaurant make their margaritas by squeezing fresh fruit in-house and rotating through seasonal flavors. 

Tacorita offers happy hour specials Monday through Thursday, advertising $15 margarita pitchers.

LiveOaks:
Serving the Auburn community since 2015, this downtown patio bar and restaurant offer outdoor seating and a menu full of hand-crafted cocktails. The restaurant and bar are owned by Auburn alumnus, Steve Nippert. 

According to an interview with the Auburn Villager, Nippert named the establishment after the Toomer’s Corner Oaks that were replanted the same week LiveOaks opened its doors. Asiah Bryant, LiveOaks hostess, said: “LiveOaks is known for their great drink and appetizer specials. It’s the perfect place to bring your family and friends.” 

Moe’s Original BBQ:
Founded by three Alabama natives, Moe’s Original BBQ serves barbecue, beer and a host of other cocktails to Auburn residents every weekend. 

In the spring, summer and fall, the restaurant often hosts local live music on the outdoor patio. 

Michael Santoni, Auburn junior and Mechanical Engineering major, said he enjoys going to Moe’s for the atmosphere. 

“It’s a great place to grab a drink and a bite to eat with friends downtown,” Santoni said. 

Moe’s posts daily food and drink specials on their Instagram.

Avondale Bar and Tap Room:
House-made cocktails and views of downtown are just a staircase away. Located above Toomer’s Corner, Avondale Bar and Tap Room creates custom cocktails for each season and holiday. 

Think orange creamsicle, cranberry mimosas and pumpkin spice libations. With its floor-to-ceiling mirrors, plush leather chairs and detailed woodwork, owner Hardy Gilbert characterized the bar as “a responsible bar for responsible people,” in an interview with Edible Lower Alabama. 

Nonetheless, Avondale welcomes locals and students alike. After all, their website states it best: “all who come thirsty are welcome.”

The Collegiate Hotel:
Another Auburn establishment that offers seasonal craft cocktails can be found at The Collegiate Hotel. This hotel boasts two separate bars, one indoor and one outdoor, to accommodate guests during any season. 

The Collegiate’s outdoor bar, a rooftop concept overlooking Samford, promises “eagle-eye views,” according their website.

Halftime Sports Bar & Grill:
Halftime advertises the full game-day experience: snacks, specials and screens. Located in downtown Auburn the sports bar offers a full menu stuffed with items like fried gouda mac & cheese bites, specialty burgers and triple-decker sandwiches. 

To wash it all down, they promote daily drink specials on their Instagram. The sports bar is open every day from 3 p.m.- 2 a.m., with weekend hours starting a little earlier at 11 a.m.

The Plaza Bar and Lounge:
Opening its doors at 11 a.m. Tuesday through Sunday, the Plaza Bar advertises beer, wine and cocktails complete with outdoor seating and a full menu. 

They boast happy hour specials Tuesday-Thursday, as well as weekly trivia nights, bingo and live music. 

“The plaza is the best place to watch an away game,” said Auburn junior and microbiology major Sophia Franz. “Everyone there is really passionate about watching the game. The food is amazing, and I know I’ll always have a seat,” Franz said.

17-16:
17-16, a downtown bar located on Magnolia Avenue, has been serving the Auburn Community since 2017. The bar is named after Auburn football’s 1972 17 to 16 win over Alabama, according to Auburn Opelika tourism. 

The bar features an inside complete with barstool seating, multiple TV screens and a pool table, as well as an outdoor back patio where the bar regularly hosts live music. 

The bar is decked out in blue and orange, paying homage to its namesake. 

17-16 has daily drink specials advertised on their Instagram and offers a happy-hour food menu from neighboring restaurant Hamilton’s On Magnolia.

Southeastern Bar:
Opened in 2019, Southeastern Bar is one of the newest additions to Auburn’s nightlife. Its name was derived from its website's mission statement, that the dedication to “friends, family, good times, and of course football” are all a part of what makes the southeast so unique. 

The bar advertises itself as “one of the lengthiest bars in the SEC,” according to its website, and features an upper and lower level. 

Southeastern features various happy hour drink specials, along with a full menu and daily food specials. 

Skybar Café:
Widely considered to be the largest college bar in the SEC, according to their Instagram, Skybar Café has been a member of Auburn’s bar scene since 2005. 

Owned by brothers Pat and Dan Grider, the bar has a 2,500 person capacity and features multiple full-service bars, two stages and a rooftop. 

Although their hours vary, Skybar offers a few constants: Karaoke Tuesdays and Wednesdays, Throwback Thursdays, and live music Friday and Saturday nights. They advertises daily happy hour specials on their Instagram. 

Sabina Crisitello | Assistant Culture Editor

Sabina Crisitello, junior in journalism, is the assistant culture editor at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn’s top 10 happy hour spots” on social media.