Kim Evans hasn't left The Plains behind

<p>Former women's golf coach, Kim Evans, weighs in on her experiences both in the sports field and as a member of the Auburn University community.&nbsp;</p>

Former women's golf coach, Kim Evans, weighs in on her experiences both in the sports field and as a member of the Auburn University community. 

Coach Kim Evans, former head coach of the Women’s Golf Team may have retired in 2015 but she hasn’t left The Plains behind. 

Coach Evans started her career at Auburn as a student-athlete in 1977 and later came back to coach in 1994. 

During her time at Auburn, she led the golf team to eight SEC championships, was named SEC coach of the year five times and won the National Golf Coaches Association National Coach of the Year in 2002, according to the official Auburn Athletics website.  

“It was an honor to come back and coach, we developed a top 10 program that still thrives today under our current coach Melissa Luellen,” Evans said. 

Shortly after graduating from Auburn, Evans worked as a golf professional in Sandestin, Florida, where she attained her PGA status and gained experience learning the golf business and teaching the game. 

Evans later went to Georgia Tech to work as the Assistant Men’s Golf Coach, before settling at Auburn University as the head coach of the Women’s Golf Team. 

“I loved coming home to Auburn, and building my own program,” Evans said. 

However, her time coaching at Auburn was not without its challenges. Evans was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2013 and ultimately decided to step back from coaching in 2015 to better focus on her fight against cancer and to serve the cancer community better. 

“This was a tough time to go through, I had multiple surgeries and chemotherapy and our teams had a lot to manage on their own,” she said.

Evans said this was the right decision for her, and it allowed her the time she needed to heal. She is currently going on over eight years cancer-free, with no evidence of disease. 

Recently, Evans also had to go through hip surgery, which has been a challenge not only physically but also mentally. 

“I am just 3 weeks out and trying to take it slow and easy,” she said. “I know it is going to be a long process, and I just want to come back as strong as I can and better.” 

She explained her biggest goal right now is to take the advice of her doctors and physical therapists to trust the process and so that she is able to bounce back as healthy as possible. 

During her time as head coach, Evans accomplished many milestones, championships and awards. 

However, Evans said it is not the accomplishments that she holds most dear to her. 

“I loved being a part of not only the Auburn golf family but also the Auburn Family,” Evans said. “I love all of the relationships with the student-athletes and their families,” 

“It was also special to win 8 SEC Championships,” Evans said. 

Since retiring from coaching, Evans has been busy working as a consultant for PGA of America, where she reaches out to collegiate golfers about careers in golf. She also still works with Auburn University, assisting student veterans on campus. 

“I help our student veterans connect with community leaders through golf and also teach them the game with clinics and golf outings throughout the year,” Evans said.

Kara Mautz | Culture Writer

Kara Mautz, senior in human development and family studies with a minor in journalism, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Kim Evans hasn't left The Plains behind” on social media.