Malonson earns second Top Drawer honor of the season

<p>Oct. 10, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Alyssa Malonson (3) passes the ball with an expression on her face in a match between LSU and Auburn at the Auburn Soccer Complex.</p>

Oct. 10, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Alyssa Malonson (3) passes the ball with an expression on her face in a match between LSU and Auburn at the Auburn Soccer Complex.

Senior Alyssa Malonson is ensuring she receives all the accolades she can before she makes the move to the National Women's Soccer League at the end of the season as the Tigers' second draftee in as many years.

Malonson was named to the Top Drawer Team of the Week for her second recognition of the season after leading the Tigers' back line to yet another shutout, while also bagging a goal assist in overtime to seal the win for her team.

“Alyssa was outstanding this weekend,” said Auburn head coach Karen Hoppa. “She was a massive reason we had two shutouts. She cleaned up so many balls behind our backs and really limited both teams’ offensive opportunities. She added to the offense as well with the game-winning assist against LSU."

Eight Auburn players have been recognized by Top Drawer over the last eight weeks, with Malonson being the newest and latest addition.

Malonson moves up to tie with the second most consecutive starts in program history after starting against Mississippi State and LSU. The Tiger defense, who recently was dealt a blow with an injury to center back Madeline Moore, is being held together by Malonson's ability to play multiple positions and thwart incoming attacks with her clear decision making. 

Experience is one thing that sets her apart from other players. When you've logged as many minutes on the pitch as Malonson has, there's not much an opponent can do that you haven't seen before.

Sunday's game-winning assist was her fourth of the season and the 23rd of her Auburn career, tying her for eighth all time in program history.

Malonson has just a few more weeks to rack up as many awards as she can before the Tigers make the trip to Orange Beach for the SEC tournament on Oct. 31.

Larry Robinson | Photo Editor

Larry is a senior studying journalism with a minor in sociology. He is from Enterprise, Alabama and is in his third year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @ReportingLarry

Share and discuss “Malonson earns second Top Drawer honor of the season” on social media.