Nix and Hunter garner SEC Player of the Week honors

<p>Oct 2, 2021; Baton Rouge, LA, USA; Jarquez Hunter (27) between Auburn and Louisiana State University at Tiger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics</p>

Oct 2, 2021; Baton Rouge, LA, USA; Jarquez Hunter (27) between Auburn and Louisiana State University at Tiger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn junior quarterback Bo Nix and freshman running back Jarquez Hunter were both named to the SEC’s Week 5 Offensive Players of the Week list.

Nix was named co-offensive player of the week, along with Mississippi State quarterback Will Rogers and Alabama running back Brian Robinson.

Nix orchestrated a come-from-behind win for Auburn that was the first Auburn win in Death Valley since 1999. The signal caller threw for 255 yards and a touchdown, while also rushing for another score. Nix’s legs were the difference maker in Baton Rouge, carrying the ball for 74 yards on the night.

Nix’s rushing totals were a season-high and second-most for a game in his career.

Auburn’s offense came from 13 points down, which is the largest road comeback win for the Tigers since a 24-point deficit was erased in a victory over Alabama in 2010. 

Hunter was named co-freshman of the week, along with Len’Neth Whitehead a running back from Tennessee. 

Auburn’s rushing game was all but stifled, outside of Nix, for the majority of the night. But on Auburn’s game winning drive, Hunter carried the ball for 53 of Auburn’s 65 yards. 

Hunter busted out a 44-yard rush on the Tiger’s final drive, flipping the field for Auburn and setting up Hunter’s 1-yard score with just over three minutes remaining.

For the year, Hunter averages 10.6 yards per carry, which is best in the country. 

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Nix and Hunter garner SEC Player of the Week honors” on social media.