Rivalry Review: Notable Auburn-LSU games of the past decade

<p>Bo Nix (10) throws the ball during the Auburn vs. LSU game Saturday Oct. 26, 2019, in Baton Rogue, La.</p>

Bo Nix (10) throws the ball during the Auburn vs. LSU game Saturday Oct. 26, 2019, in Baton Rogue, La.

On Saturday, Auburn is set to open up SEC play, taking on LSU. Auburn travels to Baton Rouge, looking to grab its first win in Death Valley since 1999. The Tiger Bowl has had its share of unique moments throughout its history; last-second victories, a building on fire and a fan-made earthquake are a few examples.

The Tiger Bowl has also shown no shortage of firepower. Since 2000, there have only been two matchups where neither team was ranked in the Top 25. Since 2010, eight contests have featured a team ranked in the Top 10. Title games are no stranger for either one of the programs either, with Auburn or LSU appearing in the National Championship game four times in the last 11 seasons.

Ahead of Saturday night’s matchup, here are some notable Auburn versus LSU games from the past 10 years.

2010: Auburn 24, LSU 17

This Top-10 battle featured the No. 4 Auburn Tigers taking on the No. 6 LSU Tigers, it did not disappoint. This showdown proved to be a battle of mobile quarterbacks, as both led their team in rushing yards. Jordan Jefferson led all LSU rushers with 74 yards and a touchdown. Auburn quarterback Cam Newton was the leading rusher on the day with 217 yards and two touchdowns. Newton’s third quarter 49-yard touchdown run that showcased his strength, speed and athleticism is often described as his Heisman moment. 

2013: LSU 35, Auburn 21

In what turned out to be one of the most historic seasons in Auburn history, the Tigers fell early in the season in Baton Rogue. LSU jumped out to a speedy 21-0 and Auburn couldn’t recover. Jeremy Hill rushed for 184 yards and three touchdowns as LSU handed Auburn its only conference loss of the season.

2016: Auburn 18, LSU 13

In a historic showing, Daniel Carlson led Auburn in scoring, totaling 18 points on six fields goals. LSU fought back until the end, Trailing 18-13 with one second left, LSU quarterback Danny Etling’s fourth down pass connected with D.J Chark in the end zone as time expired. However, after further review, the officials ruled that LSU did not get the snap off in time, giving Auburn the upset victory over the No.16 Tigers.

2017: LSU 27, Auburn 23

The No. 10 Auburn Tigers came out with an early offensive strike, taking a 20-0 lead by the second quarter. Auburn’s offense began to stall and LSU outscored the Tigers 27-3 for the remainder of the game. This loss extended Auburn’s losing streak in Death Valley to nine games.

2018: LSU 22, Auburn 21

This Top 25 matchup began with No. 12 LSU gathering a 10-0 lead, before No. 7 Auburn stormed back to score 21 unanswered points, taking a 21-10 lead. LSU inched back into the game, scoring a field goal and a touchdown in the second half. However, a failed two-point conversion left LSU trailing 21-19. LSU got a defensive stop and the ball back with 5:38 left in the game. Auburn compiled 111 yards worth of penalties, including two during LSU’s final drive that set up Cole Tracy’s field goal to down Auburn as time expired.

2019: LSU 23, Auburn 20

The Tiger Bowl found itself once again hosting a top-ranked matchup featuring No. 9 Auburn heading to battle against No. 1 LSU. The Auburn defense held the high-powered LSU offense to its lowest scoring output and margin of victory of the entire season, forcing LSU to cough up two turnovers as well. Trailing 23-13, Bo Nix found Seth Williams with 0:54 left in the game to cut the LSU lead to 3. An unsuccessful onside kick closed the door on any comeback hopes for Auburn.

2020: Auburn 48, LSU 11

Auburn put on an offensive showcase, jumping out to a 21 point lead and never looking back. Bo Nix led Auburn through the air and on the ground, accumulating 300 passing yards and 3 touchdowns passing, along with 81 yards on the ground and a touchdown. Auburn scored 48 points, marking the most points scored by the Tigers in this rivalry series.

In this year's matchup, Auburn looks to end the 10-game losing streak in Baton Rouge and bounce back from a shaky performance last week. The Tiger Bowl will take place on Saturday at 8 p.m. CST, with the game being broadcast on ESPN.

Share and discuss “Rivalry Review: Notable Auburn-LSU games of the past decade” on social media.