The Fall Sundown Concert Series is back at Kiesel Park

<p>Students and locals alike gather at Kiesel Park to watch performances by a number of musical groups.</p>

Students and locals alike gather at Kiesel Park to watch performances by a number of musical groups.

This fall, Auburn Parks and Recreation is hosting the Sundown Concert Series at Kiesel Park.

The Sundown Concert Series presents four concerts at Kiesel Park on Thursday nights from 5:30 - 7 p.m. Admission is free to the public with a vendor on-site to purchase food and treats. 

The series kicked off on Sept. 23 with a performance by Michael Warren and the second free concert occurred on Sept. 30 with Dion Hawkins & The Experience.

However, if you have not attended the Sundown Concert Series yet, there are two more performances lined. H20 f. Ms. L’Oreal is performing on Oct. 14 and Soul Co. is performing on Oct. 21.

Local Auburn vendor, The Chill Spot, has been vending at the Sundown Concert Series since 2017. They offer frozen treats such as frozen lemonade, popsicles and ice cream sandwiches. Due to popular demand, The Chill Spot said they are now offering hot dogs as well. 

Jarret Jones, director of Frank Brown Recreation Center, has been helping to organize the Sundown Concert for approximately seven years. 

Throughout his involvement, Jones said it has been rewarding to put on the concert series for the community in the aftermath of quarantine. 

“With COVID, things have definitely changed, but we’ve been able to adjust," Jones said. "Last week was the largest group we’ve had for a fall concert in years. We had 145 people last week. They were just happy, and the one thing they all said was ‘Thank you for doing it, we just wanted to get out of the house.’”

Ann Bergman, public relations specialist for the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation, has handled all of the publicity and marketing for the event since 2015. 

Bergman appreciates all those who attend and encourages those who have not to enjoy a nice fall evening with live entertainment in the park. 

“We like to encourage people to bring their blanket, their lawn chair or a picnic dinner, and dogs on a leash and just come out to be with nature and listen to music in an outdoor setting,” Bergman said. ”It’s just really nice to see people take time out of their busy day and come out to a park and enjoy listening to live music.” 

Jayne Duignan | Culture Writer

Jayne Duignan, senior in journalism and psychology, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “The Fall Sundown Concert Series is back at Kiesel Park” on social media.