Auburn drops match to Texas A&M

<p>Oct. 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Three Auburn defenders attempt to block an incoming spike in a match between Auburn and Alabama in the Auburn Arena.</p>

Oct. 3, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Three Auburn defenders attempt to block an incoming spike in a match between Auburn and Alabama in the Auburn Arena.

Auburn lost to Texas A&M Thursday night in five sets to mark its third straight loss. The Tigers now hold a 12-10 (4-8) record with six games remaining. 

All things started well for Auburn, after jumping out to a 2-1 set lead. But a 25-14 loss in the fourth set and a 15-12 loss in the fifth set prevented Auburn from gaining a crucial road win. 

As usual, Rebekah Rath was did most of the work attacking. Rath finished with 84 of Auburn’s 182 attacks, resulting in 22 kills to 12 errors for the junior. 

Rath’s number of attacks is undoubtedly eye-popping to Texas A&M’s Morgan Christon, who led the Aggies in attacks with 41. 

Rath now stands at 365 kills this season, which ranks third all-time in single-season history for Auburn. 

Liz Reich accounted for nine kills while Val Green had eight of her own. 

The Tigers typically rule the net, but they left the game with only six blocks as a team. 

Setter Jackie Barrett continued to be a double-double machine. Barrett finished with 38 assists and 13 digs giving her 14 double-doubles this season. 

Fallan Lanham had an impressive night, as the freshman finished with 17 digs and three assists. Bella Rosenthall and Kate Curtis had 12 and 11 digs, respectively. 

The Tigers face the Aggies in College Station again Friday at 6 p.m. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network-plus. 

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn drops match to Texas A&M” on social media.