Auburn still searching for first win of the season after losing to Old Dominion

Johnnie Harris the new Auburn Women's Basketball coach stands with Allen Green at her formal introduction ceremony on Monday, April 5, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn suffered its second loss of the season Sunday afternoon after losing at Old Dominion 57-44. 

Auburn held a seven-point lead after the first quarter, but foul trouble kept the Tigers from building on their lead as four players finished with four fouls. 

After starting the game hot, Auburn cooled down early in the second quarter prompting the Monarchs to take control of the game. 

“We missed a lot of wide-open layups," said Auburn head coach Johnnie Harris. "There were times when we forced shots. But when we let our offensive work, we got to the rim. Whenever you're missing layups like that, it's hard to beat anybody, especially on the road. I'm still working with this team on finishing, making smart decisions. That's toughness, that's discipline to be able to do that, and that's what I'm working with them on.” 

Auburn maintained the lead into the third quarter but a 17-5 run over the last 7:33 of the third quarter from Old Dominion opened an 11-point deficit for the Tigers.  

Auburn shot just 25.4 percent from the field while connecting on only one three pointer as a team. 

Old Dominion grabbed 13 offensive rebounds and turned those into 13 second-half points including nine in the second half. The Tigers had 16 turnovers to only five assists. Auburn also committed 27 fouls, giving the Monarchs 30 free throws as Old Dominion rode those mistakes from Auburn to a 13-point win. 

Aicha Coulibaly led Auburn with 17 points and 13 rebounds. Honesty Scott-Grayson finished with ten points and 11 rebounds shooting just three-for-seventeen from the field. The Tigers had just four bench points, and that unit shot a combined zero-for-ten.

Auburn returns to the court on Tuesday against Alabama State as the Tigers look for their first win of the season. The game will begin at 7 p.m. CT at Auburn Arena. 

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn still searching for first win of the season after losing to Old Dominion” on social media.