Austin Davis resigns as offensive coordinator

<p>Austin Davis will be not Auburn's new offensive coordinator next season. (Photo via Seattle Seahawks)</p>

Austin Davis will be not Auburn's new offensive coordinator next season. (Photo via Seattle Seahawks)

Austin Davis’ time as Auburn’s offensive coordinator is over before it even started. 

In an announcement made by the program on Monday, Davis has rescinded his December agreement to come to Auburn, instead opting to step away from coaching.

“The last week has been difficult for me as I’ve made the decision to step away from coaching football," Davis said. "Auburn University and Coach Harsin have been tremendous through this whole process. I am grateful for the opportunity that was presented to me from a coaching standpoint and equally as important, the way Coach Harsin has handled my current situation."

Davis was most recently the current Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach and was the youngest coach in the NFL when he was promoted to the position, at 30 years old.

“My decision to resign is 100 percent based on personal reasons," Davis said. "After more than a decade in the NFL with the daily grind as a player and coach I’ve realized how much I miss my family and my desire to spend more time with them. "

Since head coach Bryan Harsin took over at Auburn, his coaching room has been a bit of a revolving door.

Harsin fired then wide receivers coach Cornellius Williams just four weeks into the 2021 season, much to the surprise of fans. 

This offseason, Auburn has seen both its defensive coordinator Derek Mason and defensive line coach Nick Eason leave, along with the firing of offensive coordinator Mike Bobo. 

Auburn has also had trouble recently retaining its own players, with several players leaving the school for the transfer portal. 

The Tigers will now have to quickly find a replacement offensive coordinator, as the A-Day football game is only nine weeks away, with spring practices starting in only a few weeks. 

Henry Zimmer | Assistant Sports Editor

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Austin Davis resigns as offensive coordinator” on social media.