Jabari Smith earns SEC Co-Freshman of the Week honors

<p>Dec. 29, 2021; Jabari Smith Jr. (10) flexes his muscles during a game against LSU from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Dec. 29, 2021; Jabari Smith Jr. (10) flexes his muscles during a game against LSU from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn’s Jabari Smith has been named the SEC Co-Freshman of the Week following his performances against Alabama and Ole Miss. 

Against the Crimson Tide on Tuesday, Smith played 34 minutes and had career-highs with 25 points and four blocks. Smith shot 8-of-14 from the field and 3-of-6 from three against Alabama. He also had seven rebounds in Auburn’s 81-77 victory in Tuscaloosa.

The 6-foot-10 freshman followed that performance with 15 points on 6-of-13 shooting and three rebounds in 32 minutes in Auburn’s 80-71 win over Ole Miss in Oxford.

Smith has now scored in double figures in 14 consecutive games.

Smith shares Freshman of the Week honors with Kentucky guard TyTy Washington Jr., who averaged 21.5 points and 4.5 assists in Kentucky’s wins over Vanderbilt and Tennessee last week.

Smith and Washington Jr. will meet this weekend when the No. 2 Tigers host the No. 12 Wildcats on Saturday at 12 p.m. CST. Before that, however, Auburn will play host to Georgia on Wednesday at 8 p.m. CST.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Jabari Smith earns SEC Co-Freshman of the Week honors” on social media.