Pearl says Auburn 'should be No. 1'

January 15, 2022; Oxford Mississippi; Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl communicating with players from the sideline during a match between Auburn and Ole Miss at the Ole Miss Pavilion.

Bruce Pearl has brought Auburn basketball many accolades during his eight years on The Plains. 

He's sent kids to the NBA, a team to the Final Four and is now coaching the highest-ranked Auburn squad in over 20 years.

On Monday, Auburn was ranked No. 2 overall in the nation in the latest AP Poll. The Tigers fell just four points behind Gonzaga for the nation’s No. 1 spot. 

Did his team felt slighted or upset over the ranking? Pearl kept his answer short.

“We gotta get better,” Pearl said. “As far as the ranking is concerned, I think we should be No. 1.” 

Auburn is coming off back-to-back impressive road wins, in places Auburn traditionally has not succeed. 

First, the Tigers defeated then-No. 24 Alabama in Tuscaloosa before coming back against Ole Miss in Oxford to secure the team’s 12th and 13th wins in a row. 

Outside of his team’s play, Pearl again thanked the Auburn faithful for traveling across the country to support his squad. 

"I think it is unbelievable,” Pearl said. “We are starting to travel like Auburn football. Man, what a difference that makes."

Pearl also stated that the fan noise in opposing stadiums is “Instrumental” for his team’s success on the road.

“It gives our guys a little more courage,” Pearl said. 

Opposing coaches have even started to notice and game-plan for the loud traveling Auburn crowd, as South Carolina’s own Frank Martin talked and applauded Pearl for developing a program whose fans travels so well.

Now, Auburn will be treated to back-to-back home games against last in the SEC Georgia and No. 12 Kentucky. 

As far as the lackluster opponent in Georgia followed by one of the SEC's best in Kentucky, Pearl knows not to overlook the Bulldogs on Wednesday.

“It is absolutely a trap game,” Pearl said of Georgia. “But it's a trap game against our rival. I can point very easily to Saturday night, when Ole Miss came out in the first 17 minutes and it was like we were in a boxing match. We got absolutely pounded."

Pearl said in order to keep the minds of the players on Georgia, he reminds them of Auburn’s recent record against the Bulldogs. 

Anthony Edwards (5) goes for a three-pointer during Auburn Men's Basketball vs. Georgia, on Saturday, Jan. 11, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

“They'll know we've split the last two years with Georgia,” Pearl said. “Anthony Edwards beat us almost by himself two years ago there, and they beat us here last year."

Georgia has not won a game since before Christmas, while Auburn has not lost a regulation game all season. 

But until that ball is tipped on Wednesday night, Pearl will not be letting up on his squad about the dangers of this Bulldogs team. 

“All their offensive numbers are outstanding.,” Pearl said. “They have got good personnel."

Henry Zimmer | Assistant Sports Editor

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Pearl says Auburn 'should be No. 1'” on social media.