SGA overhauls Miss Auburn elections process

<p>SGA Senate meets on Sept. 14, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

SGA Senate meets on Sept. 14, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

The name is “Operation Atmosphere,” and you’ll soon be hearing it a lot more as baseball season nears. 

Coach Butch Thompson stood before the SGA Senate Tuesday night and pleaded his case for support from the senators to publicize the new student section in the outfield of Plainsman Park.

“We’re gonna create an organic space,” Thompson said. “One area we’ve been short in is students.” 

Thompson also announced an upcoming event that will invite students to hang out with players, tour the locker room, batting cages and participate in a hitting contest. 

Alex Lawing, sophomore in industrial and systems engineering and Naval ROTC student, explained the need for a liaison between SGA and ROTC. 

“They would have a voice on Auburn’s campus and have a representation for the 350 students enrolled [in ROTC],” Lawing said. “I would be in direct communication with my commanding officer and the student battalion commander.”

Michael Thomas, SGA executive vice president of initiatives, announced how complaints due to crowding from Saturday’s basketball game against Kentucky will be discussed with the athletic team to brainstorm solutions.

Tyler Ward, executive vice president of cabinet administration, reminded senators to check in on candidates considering the upcoming campaign week. He also announced that the committee on collegiate athletics will be meeting to check in on college athletes during the busy season.

Reese Lisenby, committee chair of budget and finance, announced the current Miss Auburn, Caroline Keim, is assisting in writing a budget bill for the new Miss Auburn.

Donovan Evins, Black Student Union liaison, told senators to be on the lookout for events coming up in February in celebration of Black History Month.

Brandan Belser, senator for the College of Liberal Arts, in conjunction with the current Miss Auburn, announced two future orders for the Senate’s consideration. 

First, a modernization of the Miss Auburn interview process. This would include a preliminary qualification panel of five members — the current elections advisor, the current SGA executive director of elections, Miss Auburn's chief of staff and two students selected by the executive director of elections, as approved by the senior vice president for student affairs. The panel serves as the first line of questioning for candidates prior to the formal interviews.

The new process would also include a final qualification panel consisting of the current Miss Auburn, the current SGA president, a representative of the senior vice president for student affairs and two Auburn University faculty or staff members selected by the executive director of elections.  

Second, the creation of a Miss Auburn auxiliary group in SGA. The auxiliary group will serve as a voice for the new Miss Auburn during formal Student Government Senate meetings.

Belser also announced a future order for the creation of a responsibility, legislative authority and dissolution committee.

The next SGA Senate meeting will be Monday, Jan. 31, at 7:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “SGA overhauls Miss Auburn elections process” on social media.