Sophia Groth earns SEC Co-Freshman of the Week honors

<p>Dec. 3, 2021; Sophia Groth during a gymnastics preview from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Dec. 3, 2021; Sophia Groth during a gymnastics preview from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn gymnast Sophia Groth earned her first SEC Co-Freshman of the Week honors following her clutch performances against Arkansas last Friday. 

Groth earned a 9.900 on beam in the final rotation for the Tigers. She also scored a solid 9.875 on her vault and a 9.850 on her floor exercise. All scores were needed to seal the win over then-No. 11 Arkansas. 

Groth’s score on vault ended up being a career-best, with her score on floor tying her career-best. She also earned her 9.900 in her first career appearance on the beam. These scores helped make up Auburn’s 197.250, which is the second-best road score in program history.  

Groth shares Freshman of the Week honors with Florida gymnast Leanne Wong. Wong’s huge 9.900 on beam and 9.925 on floor helped the Gators to their comeback win over the Alabama Crimson Tide. Groth and Wong will eventually see each other in competition when the Gators travel to Auburn Arena on March 4.  

The Auburn Tigers will next face the Iowa State Cyclones this Friday for their first home meet of the season. The meet will start at 7 p.m. CST and will be streamed on SEC Network-plus.  

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Sophia Groth earns SEC Co-Freshman of the Week honors” on social media.