Auburn battles back to defeat Clemson in Atlanta

Auburn came back from a 1-0 deficit  Saturday morning to defeat the Clemson Tigers 2-1. The game took place at MLS club Atlanta United's training ground.

"First off, a huge thanks to Atlanta United for letting us play on their training ground. That was a great experience for our team," head coach Karen Hoppa said. "Secondly, I thought our team really grew today. We were average in the first half but responded really well in the second half. We created a ton of opportunities and scored two nice goals to come from behind against a high-quality Clemson team."

Clemson took the lead in the first half thanks to a rebound goal, after a free kick was saved by Auburn goalkeeper Maddie Prohaska.

Down at the break, Auburn needed to make some adjustments from its first half of play to flip the script and find a win.

Hoppa made a switch at goalkeeper and brought in Makenna Garcia. The redshirt freshman made a massive save early in the second half during a Clemson counterattack to keep the scoreline separated by one.

Later in the game, LJ Knox found the equalizer off of an Anna Haddock assist from a free kick. Just a few minutes later, Haddock found the match-winner thanks to a Haley Duca assist. Haddock's goal marked her second during the spring schedule - the first against Kennesaw State a week ago.

Auburn does not play its next exhibition until March 26, against the LSU Tigers. 

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn battles back to defeat Clemson in Atlanta” on social media.