Auburn drops to No. 3 in latest AP poll after weekend loss to Florida

Wendell Green Jr. (1) holds up threes after draining a three-point shot in a game between Auburn and Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Ala., on Jan. 11, 2022.

After dropping its match against Florida on the road on Saturday, Auburn basketball dropped to No. 3 in the latest AP Poll. The former second-ranked team dropped one spot to No. 3 after Florida’s defense locked down on the final possession and forced the Tigers to fail on a last-ditch scoring effort as time expired.

Vaulted by Arizona (24-2) after a last-minute three-point win over Oregon, Auburn still remains in the top five in the AP Poll for the seventh time this season. If the Tigers hold out and remain ranked in the top four in next week’s AP poll, they will tie the program’s longest streak at eight weeks in a row being ranked as a top-five team in the nation.

Gonzaga was the unanimous No. 1 ranked team after extending the nation’s longest home win-streak to 67 after an 81-69 win over Santa Clara. Kentucky dropped from No. 4 to No. 6 after losing on the road to then-ranked No. 16 Tennessee in Knoxville on Tuesday.

Auburn’s upcoming opponent on Saturday, Tennessee, fell one spot to No. 17 in this week’s AP Poll. Alabama capped off the SEC's representatives in the rankings at No. 24.

The complete poll is listed below.

No. 1 Gonzaga

No. 2 Arizona

No. 3 Auburn

No. 4 Purdue

No. 5 Kansas

No. 6 Kentucky

No. 7 Duke

No. 8 Villanova

No. 9 Texas Tech

No. 10 Baylor

No. 11 Providence

No. 12 UCLA

No. 13 Wisconsin

No. 14 Houston

No. 15 Illinois

No. 16 USC

No. 17 Tennessee

No. 18 Arkansas

No. 19 Murray State

No. 20 Texas

No. 21 UConn

No. 22 Ohio State

No. 23 Saint Mary’s

No. 24 Alabama

No. 25 Iowa

Larry Robinson | Photo Editor

Larry is a senior studying journalism with a minor in sociology. He is from Enterprise, Alabama and is in his third year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @ReportingLarry

Share and discuss “Auburn drops to No. 3 in latest AP poll after weekend loss to Florida” on social media.