Auburn gymnastics to face off against Missouri in top 10 matchup

<p>Jan. 28, 2022; The Auburn gymnastics team celebrates a win over Alabama from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jan. 28, 2022; The Auburn gymnastics team celebrates a win over Alabama from Auburn Arena in Auburn, Ala.

Last week, the Auburn gymnastics team tied a team-record score of 197.750 against LSU. 

Suni Lee scored the Tigers’ first perfect 10 since 2004 and had the highest all-around score in program history. This week, they look to build off of that record-setting performance when the No. 7 Tigers host No. 9 Missouri.

Auburn’s performance last week earned two Tiger gymnasts SEC honors. 

Suni Lee was named SEC Gymnast of the Week after earning an all-around of 39.825. Lee had a 9.9 on vault, a 9.975 on beam, a 9.95 on floor exercise and a perfect 10 on bars, Auburn’s second-ever perfect 10 on the event.

In addition, freshman Sophia Groth earned SEC Freshman of the Week honors. Groth competed in three events, scoring 9.9 or better on all three. 

Groth earned a 9.9 on vault and floor exercise, as well as a 9.95 on balance beam. All three scores were career highs.

Auburn has improved its performance in each meet this season, all building up to last week’s record-tying score. 

Now, the Tigers want to reach new heights. To head coach Jeff Graba, the goal of scoring a 198, which would be a program first, seems to be attainable in the near future.

“I do think we’re capable of performing at a 198 level,” Graba said. “If you just do the math, it shows that we’re capable of that.”

As for the gymnasts themselves, a 198 is in their sights. 

“We’re definitely shooting for a 198 this season,” said junior Aria Brusch. “I think it’s totally possible and if we just keep better every weekend, I think it’s definitely going to be there when we need it.”

Fifth-year senior Drew Watson said its possible the 198 could have even already been achieved this season. 

“Every single meet, we’ve kind of had a few things that we’re like if these weren’t there, we could’ve gotten the 198,” Watson said. “Adding these back, we could’ve gotten there, so I’m just ready to do it already…I think we’re fully capable of a 198.”

Missouri is coming off of a very similar week to Auburn. 

Like Auburn, Missouri had a program-high score last week in a narrow loss to Florida. Missouri scored a 197.650, besting the program record of 197.475 that stood for 18 years. 

Much like Auburn, Missouri excels on balance beam, a discipline in which Missouri ranks second nationally. The Tigers have not had to count a beam score below a 9.75 this season.

In addition, Missouri has scored at least a 49.400 on beam in three of four meets. Missouri gymnast Sienna Schrieber has scored a 9.9 or above on beam in every meet this year.

Missouri is also among the nation’s best on the floor, ranking eighth. Last week against perennial powerhouse Florida, the Tigers scored a 49.600 on floor exercise, including four scores of 9.9 or better to take the event from the Gators.

This season, Schreiber is usually the only Missouri gymnast to compete in the all-around. Schreiber did not score below a 9.85 in any event and finished with an all-around total of 39.550 last week.

Amari Celestine competed in three events for the Tigers against Florida, scoring a 9.925 to win on vault and earning first in the floor exercise with a 9.95, with a 9.85 on bars rounding out her night.

The meet figures to be another close one for Auburn. 

The last two meets between Auburn and Missouri have each been decided by less than a tenth of a point. In 2020, Auburn got a home win against Missouri, 196.700-196.650. Missouri repaid the Tigers in Columbia last year, winning 196.175-196.100.

Auburn has the advantage of being at home in front of its raucous fanbase. Auburn Arena has been sold out for the first two meets this season and a third capacity crowd is expected on Friday.

The battle between the two Tiger squads will begin at 8 p.m. CST on Friday from Auburn Arena. The meet will be televised by the SEC Network. 

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Auburn gymnastics to face off against Missouri in top 10 matchup ” on social media.