Auburn takes the first game in series against Yale

<p>Sonny DiChiara makes contact with a ball for Auburn at Plainsman Park on Feb. 26.&nbsp;</p>

Sonny DiChiara makes contact with a ball for Auburn at Plainsman Park on Feb. 26. 

Auburn opens its series against Yale strong on Friday winning 9-0. 

Starting pitcher Jordan Armstrong was the star of the game with five and a third scoreless innings and 11 strikeouts. 

"Jordan Armstrong gave us exactly what we needed heading into these games," said head coach Butch Thompson. 

Overall, all of Auburn's five pitchers had at least one strikeout on the mound. Ben Bosseto had three, Chase Allsup and John Armstrong both had two and Carson Swilling had one. 

Auburn scored at least one run in every inning except for the fifth and sixth innings. Sonny DiChiara was the leading scorer on the night. He had the single home run for the team. 

The team as a whole had 14 hits on the night and held Yale to only four. They also limited the amount of Yale players that ever touched a base. 

Only once did the Tigers let Yale have the bases loaded and it was short-lived by a strikeout against the fourth batter. 

This marks the Tiger's third straight game with 13 or more hits. 

"It's early in the season, but this is a close group of guys. We're pretty unified in what we want to do, and I like what we're seeing so far," said Kason Howell.

The fans showed up again for the Tigers despite the cold weather. The stadium was almost full and the fans were making that known. Anytime a batter, especially DiChiara, walked up to the plate the student section and crowd erupted in claps and dance moves to his walk-up song. 

The Tigers face the Bulldogs again on Saturday at 2 p.m. C.T. for the second game of the series. 

Lily Stewart | Operations Editor

Lily has been with The Plainsman for three years and started out as a Sports Writer before becoming the Operations Editor. She graduates in May of 2024 and is from Washington, D.C. 

Share and discuss “Auburn takes the first game in series against Yale ” on social media.