Auburn wins opening tournament with victory over UMass Lowell

<p>Feb. 13, 2022; Auburn, Ala; Jessie Blaine (22) runs the bases during a game against UMass Lowell during the Tiger Invitational at Jane B. Moore Field.</p>

Feb. 13, 2022; Auburn, Ala; Jessie Blaine (22) runs the bases during a game against UMass Lowell during the Tiger Invitational at Jane B. Moore Field.

Auburn completed the first invitational of the 2022 season as champions, beating UMass Lowell in a five-inning mercy rule, 8-0. The Tigers improved to 5-0 on the season, four of which were won in mercy rule-shortened victories.

“It was nice to have those five and six-inning games, I’m thankful to the hitters for that,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “That’s how I decided that Shelby (Lowe) was going to start today. It wasn’t anything other than Maddie (Penta) had thrown about 70 more pitches than Shelby.”

Feb. 13, 2022; Auburn, Ala; Shelby Lowe (55) pitches the ball during a game against UMass Lowell in the Tiger Invitational from Jane B. Moore Field.

Shelby Lowe hit the circle for her third start in as many days and looked dominant. She started the day with an immaculate top of the first – three up and three sent back to the bench with a strikeout. 

After allowing a single on a missed pop-fly to left field to start off the second, she fanned three more to make it six consecutive strikeouts. 

She had another three-up-three-down inning in the third, but this time she forced UMass Lowell to make weak contact. Lowe and the Auburn defense breezed through the inning with three groundouts.

Lowe ended her day pitching three innings on 42 pitches for seven strikeouts.

Lowe was relieved by Maddie Penta, who also pitched in a game for the third straight day.

She punched out two in the fourth, but also allowed two hits and needed a dime from right fielder Paige Geraughty to nail the runner at home to end the inning and keep the shutout alive.

The fifth inning went smoother for her, as she struck out two before walking one and inducing an inning-ending grounder.

Penta threw 45 pitches over two innings of work. Dean added that he plans to utilize more pitchers next weekend.

“When our pitchers work ahead, I think we have one of the best pitching staffs in the country,” Dean said.

The offense had an exciting day, as it produced at least one run in each frame. They tallied 10 hits, while adding four walks, an error and a stolen base.

Sydney Cox got the offense going with an opposite field single in the bottom of the first. 

The team followed her lead.

Feb. 13, 2022; Auburn, Ala; Carlee McCondichie (left), Makayla Packer (center) and Lindsey Garcia (right) talk in the outfield during a break in the action against UMass Lowell in the Tiger Invitational.

Shortstop Nelia Peralta dribbled an infield hit to shortstop before catcher Bri Ellis hammered a line drive off the wall in right-center that resulted in a long single. Then, Aubrie Lisenby found a gap for a two-run double. 

“It’s really nice to see it all coming together,” Ellis said. “It’s not just one or two people hitting, it’s the whole lineup. And it’s the entire field making those great plays. I’m just really proud of us coming out and playing together for the first time.”

Jesse Blaine tried to keep the party going with a line drive into right-center, but a diving grab from the center fielder accounted for the second out before the inning ended on a baserunning error that got Lindsey Garcia stuck in between first and second base and resulted in a tag out.

The second inning led to more explosion from the Auburn bats. 

After a leadoff walk from Carlee McCondichie, Makayla Packer blasted her second homer of the season to give the Tigers a 5-0 lead before a walk and a double play ended the inning. 

Ellis made more loud contact in the third frame, rocketing a solo shot off the scoreboard to give the Tigers a six-run advantage. The freshman went 2-for-2 in the game with 2 RBIs and a run scored on the home run.

“Getting the hits that I did definitely allowed me to have the nervous at-bats at the beginning, but it didn’t really matter," Ellis said. "Now I’ve found my confidence and my comfort. I’m seeing the ball, and that helps going in to play these better teams."

The Tigers scratched another run across the plate via back-to-back singles from Denver Bryant, who was pinch-run for by Riley McNemar, and McCondichie in the fourth inning.

This set up the Auburn freshmen to end it in walk-off, mercy rule fashion, in the fifth with a McNemar double that drove home Lisenby.

“Oh yeah, I have great teammates so we’re always having fun,” Lisenby said. “I was a little nervous the first game, and they were super hype for me to start playing. It really made me feel comfortable, and let me relax and play the game.”

Many players saw the field for Auburn today, including 17 position players and two pitchers. The freshman got in on the action and thrived. All seven freshmen on the roster got playing time, and three of them got hits.

“I think [the freshman’s success] comes from great leadership, to be quite honest,” Dean said. “The young players have to feel like they can do those things, and I think the upperclassmen have done a really nice job letting them be who they are and not squelching that confidence.”

The Tigers picked up their fifth win of the season, and they get three full days off before their next challenge.

Feb. 13, 2022; Auburn, Ala; The Auburn softball team celebrates after a 8-0 victory over UMass Lowell in the Tiger Invitational from Jane B. Moore Field.

The Tigers will travel to Clearwater, Florida, next weekend for the St. Pete Clearwater Elite Invitational. 

The weekend begins for Auburn with a matchup with Texas Tech on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. CST. That game will be broadcast on the SEC Network.

“The mistakes we made this weekend, we probably won’t get away with next weekend,” Dean said. "We’re going to watch video and we’re going to clean some things up, and we’re going to go play… If you play the game the way it’s supposed to be played, it doesn’t matter who you’re playing.”

Share and discuss “Auburn wins opening tournament with victory over UMass Lowell” on social media.