Auburn women's basketball preparing for road test against Razorbacks

<p>February 3, 2022; Auburn, Alabama; Honesty Scott-Grayson (23) tries a layup in a match between Auburn and Mississippi State in the Auburn Arena.</p>

February 3, 2022; Auburn, Alabama; Honesty Scott-Grayson (23) tries a layup in a match between Auburn and Mississippi State in the Auburn Arena.

After a week off from playing, head coach Johnnie Harris will lead her squad to Fayetteville, Arkansas, to play the Arkansas Razorbacks. The Razorbacks are 14-8 and sit at No. 9 in the SEC standings. 

Auburn has dropped two straight games after a stunning upset against Tennessee two weeks ago. The Tigers sit last in the SEC with that win over the Lady Volunteers, marking their only conference win of the season. 

Arkansas is filled with plenty of offensive threats with four different players averaging 10 or more points per game. However, one of those players is junior Makayla Daniels who injured her knee last week against Tennessee. Her status for the Auburn game is currently unknown. 

Amber Ramirez leads the Razorbacks with 14.7 points per game. She also shoots lights out from the 3-point line – connecting on 41.4% of her 3-pointers. 

Samara Spencer is another talented guard for Arkansas. Spencer averages 11.4 points per game and also shoots above 40% from three. 

Arkansas is third in the SEC in three-point shooting percentage and first in total makes. 

In its most recent loss, Auburn allowed Mississippi State to hit seven 3-pointers. Against a team as dangerous as Arkansas is from deep, Auburn must lock down on defense and guard the 3-point line. 

The Razorbacks are also extremely safe while possessing the ball. Arkansas’ 10.7 turnovers per game ranks first in the conference in fewest turnovers. 

Arkansas also averages the most points per game in the SEC. Auburn's offense has struggled this season, scoring just 64.6 points per game, so the defense must step up to give Auburn a chance on the road.

The Razorback’s defense has been solid throughout the season as Arkansas only allows its opponents to score 64 points per game. Three players average one or more steals per game while Sasha Goforth rejects 1.7 shots per game – good for the sixth most in the SEC. 

Daniels played a key role in the Razorbacks stingy defense, but with her availability in question, the defense may not be as strong as it typically is. 

After Daniels sustained that injury, Arkansas surrendered 86 points versus Tennessee and 77 points against Texas A&M, well over its season average. 

Auburn’s star Aicha Coulibaly is never shy about finding her shot, and with Arkansas a player down, look for Coulibaly to attack even more. 

Starting point guard Sania Wells could see an increase in her offensive involvement too. Already the third leading scorer for the Tigers, Wells has not shot the ball well this season, but this serves as an opportunity for the junior guard to flip the switch. 

Annie Hughes, Auburn’s top 3-point shooter, may look to shoot the ball more too. With Arkansas likely firing many 3-pointers, Hughes could be asked to do the same to keep up with the Razorbacks’ fast pace of play. 

The game will tip-off at 7 p.m. CST on Thursday night and be broadcast on SEC Network-plus. 

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Auburn women's basketball preparing for road test against Razorbacks” on social media.