Bert Watts leaving Auburn for Denver Broncos

Coach Bert Watts
Auburn FB practice  on Tuesday, April 5, 2021 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Coach Bert Watts Auburn FB practice on Tuesday, April 5, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn special teams and outside linebackers coach Bert Watts announced on his Twitter that he is leaving Auburn for a job in the NFL.

Watts is now the sixth coach under head coach Bryan Harsin to depart from Auburn. Cornelius Williams was fired four weeks into the 2021 season, Mike Bobo was fired at the end of the season, Derek Mason and Nick Eason both left for other jobs, and Austin Davis resigned earlier this year.

Now, Watts will be coaching with the Denver Broncos as the outside linebackers coach. Watts is one of seven new hires for newly-appointed head coach Nathaniel Hackett.

Under Watts, Auburn recorded its highest sack total since 2018 with 36 sacks. EDGE Derick Hall’s nine sacks led the team and earned him ALL-SEC recognition. 

Auburn will now have two key roles to fill on its coach staff, with openings at offensive coordinator and special teams. 

At this time, no official statement from Auburn has been released. 

Henry Zimmer | Assistant Sports Editor

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Assistant Sports Editor and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Bert Watts leaving Auburn for Denver Broncos” on social media.