SGA standing committee chairs selected

<p>The SGA Senate meets in the Melton Student Center on Feb. 21, 2022, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

The SGA Senate meets in the Melton Student Center on Feb. 21, 2022, in Auburn, Ala.

Now that the Student Senate's 2022 term has officially begun, SGA announced new chairpersons for the body's standing committees at its Monday night meeting.

The five standing committees serve to discuss and rectify specific topics within their chosen designation. The committees are made up of a chairperson and several members depending upon the number of responsibilities and initiatives involved in each group. 

There five committees are the Academic Affairs Committee, the Budget and Finance Committee, the Code of Laws Committee, the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee and the Student Affairs Committee.

Coleman Turnipseed, SGA vice president, and John David Jones, vice president pro tempore, selected the new chairpersons through private interviews.

Madeline Dodd was selected as chair of the Academic Affairs Committee. Dodd is a sophomore in psychology who hopes to “further build transparency between Student Senate and Auburn, while also taking into consideration all worries and desires of the student body, especially regarding academics.” 

Dodd said she plans to work on improving the technology for Biggio Center Testing Services and potentially having an early alert grade posted for finals as Auburn has in place for mid-terms. Dodd is looking forward to “building relationships this year and representing Auburn to the best of my ability.”

Nick Seward was selected chair of the Budget and Finance Committee. Seward is a sophomore studying accounting who is a second-year SGA senator. 

His hopes for the new year are “to make the sky the limit in the senate.” He is looking forward to “getting to know the new senators and serving Auburn for another term.”

Ashton Dickinson was selected as chair for the Code of Laws Committee. Dickinson is a sophomore finance major who is also a second-year senator for SGA as well as a second-year member of the Code of Laws Committee. 

He is looking forward to “working on some ideas that can make an impact not only for the Code of Laws Committee but for the Student Government Association as a whole.” Dickinson said he hopes for that every member of the senate becomes more familiar with the SGA Code of Laws.

“Every term the code is modified, and ... the senate having a clear understanding of the Code of Laws will make passing bills pertaining to the code more efficient and effective,” Dickinson said.

For the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, Casey Rickles was selected as chair. Rickles is a sophomore pursuing a double major in political science and international studies who said she is a "firm believer that all life is interconnected." She said she is honored to be the chair of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee. 

"Regardless of your race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, sexuality or socioeconomic status, students should rest assured knowing that there is a group of people fighting for every aspect of your human experience," Rickles said. 

She looks forward to "a year not only dedicated to making each person who steps on campus feel that they belong but also knowing that they have a chance to help Auburn evolve with the changing world around them."

For the Student Affairs Committee, Jabin Justin was selected as chair. Justin is a junior in chemical engineering and political science who is hoping for “a productive, effective senate this upcoming term that really values the student voice.” 

He is a returning senator who served on Freshman Forum and looks forward to “advocating for necessary updates to facilities throughout campus.” Justin said he “would love to expand the Rec Center and its services so that more students can utilize what they offer.” 

Share and discuss “SGA standing committee chairs selected” on social media.