Shelby Lowe tosses no-hitter, Auburn softball sweeps double-header

<p>February 11, 2022; Shelby Lowe (55) pitches the ball against Seton Hall from Jane B. Moore Field in Auburn, Alabama.</p>

February 11, 2022; Shelby Lowe (55) pitches the ball against Seton Hall from Jane B. Moore Field in Auburn, Alabama.

Auburn softball collected both wins in its season-opening night against Seton Hall and St. John’s at Jane B. Moore Field in the Tiger Invitational Friday night. 

The Tigers defeated Seton Hall in the first game of the Friday double-header with a score of 10-3.

Maddie Penta started in the circle for her 2022 season debut. Penta pitched a complete game for the Tigers and earned the win, totaling 16 strikeouts and giving up two earned runs. Penta threw 112 pitches, 80 of them for strikes. Seton Hall ended up scoring three late runs, but Penta was too dominant in the beginning of the game to allow for a comeback. 

The offense for the Tigers was rolling through the first two innings, totalling five hits and six runs. 

Sophomore Makayla Packer started off her 2022 season with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the first inning to give Auburn the quick lead. An RBI single for freshman Nelia Peralta and an RBI double for freshman Jessie Blaine gave Auburn its other two runs of the inning.

Auburn continued its offensive attack in the second inning. A triple by sophomore Sydney Cox brings in two more runs to tally the Tiger’s total to five runs. A passed ball by Seton Hall allowed Cox to score, bringing Auburn’s run total to six. 

Seton Hall then replaced starting pitcher Cadyn Ehrenberg with Sydney Babik, who turned out to be more difficult for Auburn hitters to figure out. Babik, a sophomore, pitched four innings and only allowed three earned runs as well as only two hits, one of which was a two-run home run for Peralta. 

“Our approach changed,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “Great approach early, for both teams, and the difference in the two games is that we carried that approach throughout the entirety of the second game.”

Peralta and junior Carlee McCondichie were standouts at the plate for this first game. Peralta went 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBIs, even though she committed the only fielding error for the Tigers. McCondichie played her role in the nine-spot in the lineup well, going 2-for-2 with two singles and a stolen base. 

“Oh it’s so much fun. I’m so excited to be with my teammates, it’s the best feeling in the world, you know," Peralta said. "First year, you don’t know how it’s going to go, but I know these girls have my back and I’m excited for this run.”

The Tigers next defeated St. John’s 14-0 — a no-hitter by sophomore Shelby Lowe.

Lowe was rolling from the beginning. Totaling 11 strikeouts and earning a no-hitter in her first appearance, Lowe also had plenty of run support on the offensive side with a 14-run cushion to work with. This was Lowe’s first career no-hitter. 

“Just something that I’ve been working on,” Lowe said. “It’s definitely felt good these past couple of weeks and I kinda just rode over that and everything just worked today.”

Auburn came out swinging in the first inning, hitting two home runs and totaling five hits to put up a five-run frame for the Tigers. Sophomore Sydney Cox and senior Aspyn Godwin each hit one home run. Auburn then added two more runs in the second inning coming off hits from Packer and Cox.

The Tigers never let up on the pressure, scoring two runs in the second inning, five runs in the third inning and two runs in the fourth inning to put St. John’s well and far behind. Auburn totalled 14 hits and only had one fielding error, which came in the top of the first inning. 

Several players for Auburn had standout nights at the plate.

Packer went 2-for-2 with a triple and single, collecting two RBIs as well. Packer also had two stolen bases while on the basepath. Cox exploded offensively after a relatively quiet first game against Seton Hall, going 4-for-4 with a home run and three consecutive doubles. 

“Yeah, it was a good time tonight,” Cox said. “It was nice to hit off some live pitching and actually play in front of some fans, so I can't wait to play more games in front of some more fans.”

The Tigers seemed to work out some offensive kinks from the first game and kept consistent scoring going against St. John’s. Both Penta and Lowe will pitch tomorrow in Auburn’s second double-header of the weekend. 

“[Penta and Lowe] did a really nice job and I’m proud of them,” Dean said. 

The Tigers will play St. John’s again tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. CST and Seton Hall again at 5 p.m. CST. 

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Shelby Lowe tosses no-hitter, Auburn softball sweeps double-header” on social media.