Tigers shut out by Oklahoma in Opening Day loss

<p>Feb. 18, 2022; Arlington, Texas; Jordan Armstrong (52) pitches the ball against Oklahoma from Globe Life Field. (Mandatory credit: Mario Terrana)</p>

Feb. 18, 2022; Arlington, Texas; Jordan Armstrong (52) pitches the ball against Oklahoma from Globe Life Field. (Mandatory credit: Mario Terrana)

In Auburn’s first game of the 2022 baseball season, the Tigers’ bats were quiet in a 3-0 loss to Oklahoma at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas.

It is the first time Auburn has lost a season opener since 2010 when the Tigers lost to Southeast Missouri State and the first loss on Opening Day under Butch Thompson.

Auburn started Tommy Sheehan, a graduate transfer from Notre Dame, on the mound. Sheehan, who was coming off of Tommy John Surgery, pitched only the first inning. In that inning, he allowed a walk and a single but kept the Sooners off the board. 

After Sheehan departed, Auburn turned to Jordan Armstrong for an extending appearance in relief. Armstrong pitched four innings, allowing just one hit and striking out five to keep the Sooners off the board through the fifth inning.

Following Armstrong was Hayden Mullins, who got through a scoreless sixth inning.

In the seventh, however, the Sooners broke through. After Mullins issued a one-out walk to Oklahoma’s Brett Squires, the Sooners got on the board with a two-out, two-run home run by Peyton Graham. The Sooners did not relinquish the lead.

"It was one of those the whole time where you knew it was going to come down to one pitch," said Auburn head coach Butch Thompson.

In the eighth, Oklahoma added on to its lead when Mullins issued a leadoff walk, followed by a single. 

John Armstrong relieved Mullins on the mound and induced a double play, allowing the runner, Tanner Tredaway, to score from third, providing the final margin of 3-0. Mullins was charged with all three runs allowed by the Tigers.

"I thought the two Armstrongs – Jordan and John – two new pitchers in our program, they're going to be able to do something for us," Thompson said.

The Tigers struggled to find any offense throughout the game, mustering only three hits. Auburn only had three hits or fewer twice last season.

"It was a little back-and-forth," Thompson said. "Really, all of our preparation told us, I was so excited about our lineup. We just didn't have great approaches today."

In a rough offensive outing for Auburn, one bright spot was Samford transfer Sonny DiChiara. The senior first baseman was 2-for-4 with two doubles. His two outs were long flyouts that reached the warning track. His teammates combined for one hit, a ninth-inning single by Blake Rambusch.

The Tigers will be back in action at the State Farm Showdown against No. 12 Texas Tech. The first pitch will be on Saturday at 3 p.m. CST. The Red Raiders will start junior RHP Brandon Birdsell, while Auburn has yet to announce a starter.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Tigers shut out by Oklahoma in Opening Day loss” on social media.