Wendell Green Jr. awarded SEC player of the week

February 5, 2022; Athens, Georgia; Wendell Green Jr. (1) looks to the sidelines during a match between Auburn and Georgia in Stegeman Coliseum.

After edging out Georgia this past weekend, Wendell Green Jr. has been awarded SEC Player of the Week. This is the first time in his career that he has been awarded the honor. Green led the Tigers to two huge program sweeps this past week against the schools biggest rivals, Alabama and Georgia.

He led the team, averaging 21 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 4.5 assists per contest in the two-game stretch. Along with this, Green was hitting double-digit points before halftime in both games, giving the team two comfortable leads. Against Georgia, he scored 15 of his 19 points in the first half, not to mention making a huge basket at the end of the game. 

Green scored the final basket with three seconds left after Georgia had tied the game. With starter Zep Jasper out due to illness, Green had to step up. He was the difference-maker the Tigers needed to shake off the Dawgs. 

Green started the week off strong when he scored a season-high 23 points against Alabama. That was his 12th career 20-point game and his second this season. In that game he also had eight rebounds and six assists. 

With Jasper still questionable to return, Auburn may need to lean on Green as a starter one more time if Jasper is unavailable. The No. 1 Tigers take on Arkansas tomorrow at 6 p.m. CST, as they look to end the Razorbacks' eight-game win streak and extend theirs to 20, the longest active streak in basketball. 

Lily Stewart | Operations Editor

Lily has been with The Plainsman for three years and started out as a Sports Writer before becoming the Operations Editor. She graduates in May of 2024 and is from Washington, D.C. 

Share and discuss “Wendell Green Jr. awarded SEC player of the week ” on social media.