Aicha Coulibaly honored with All-SEC Second Team honors

February 3, 2022; Auburn, Alabama; Aicha Coulibaly (5) slows down the offense in a match between Auburn and Mississippi State in the Auburn Arena.

Aicha Coulibaly was named to the All-SEC Second Team on Tuesday after marking career highs in numerous statistics during the 2021-22 season.

Coulibaly was Auburn's main source of offense throughout the season, averaging 17.3 points per game which was good for fifth in the SEC. Coulibaly also finished 10th in the SEC with 7.8 rebounds per game.

The sophomore averaged just 5.1 points and 3.1 rebounds per game as a freshman, but after star player Unique Thompson graduated and became a second-round pick in the WNBA draft, someone had to step into her role as the star player. Coulibaly embraced that role and became Auburn's most dangerous player.

The forward from IMG Academy led the Tigers in double-doubles and 20-point performances with five and nine, respectively. She set a career-high in points against Charleston Southern earlier in the year with 27.

She also shot a career-high 44.6% from the field and was a force on the defensive side of the court- averaging 2.2 steals per game.

Coulibaly became the 30th player since 1981 to earn a spot on the coaches' All-SEC team at Auburn and marked the fourth consecutive season where a Tiger has been named to one of the All-SEC teams.

Coulibaly and the Tigers face Alabama on Wednesday in the SEC tournament. Auburn was swept by the Crimson Tide in the regular season, but its losses were suffered by a combined 10 points. The Tigers look to take care of their unfinished business against their rivals at 1:30 p.m. CST on Wednesday in Bridgestone Arena. 

Jacob Waters | Sports Reporter

Jacob is a sophomore from Leeds, Alabama. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Aicha Coulibaly honored with All-SEC Second Team honors” on social media.