Bullpen and DiChiara lead Auburn to win over Rhode Island

<p>Teammates Bryson Ware (8), Kason Howell (5), and Mike Bello (31) celebrate after a win against Rhode Island on May 4, 2022 at Plainsman Park in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Teammates Bryson Ware (8), Kason Howell (5), and Mike Bello (31) celebrate after a win against Rhode Island on May 4, 2022 at Plainsman Park in Auburn, Ala.

After a tough start found Auburn down 2-0 after two innings, Auburn’s bullpen, led by Carson Skipper and Blake Burkhalter came in and collectively allowed no runs for the rest of the game to lead Auburn to a 7-2 over Rhode Island on Friday in Plainsman Park.

Auburn first baseman Sonny DiChiara continued his hot start to the season, as he went 2-for-4, including a two-run home run, his fifth of the season. He also reached base on a walk. The slugger is off to a hot start to the season, hitting .500 and getting on base in all 10 games.

After going down 2-0, Auburn responded in the third with DiChiara’s two-run home run to tie the game at two. Auburn added another run in the fourth on a passed ball to take a 3-2 lead.

Auburn added two more runs in the fifth inning off of a Ryan Dyal sac-fly and a Cole Foster RBI double.

Auburn was able to add on to its lead late in the game as it scored two more runs in the eighth inning off of a sac-fly and a Kason Howell RBI single to reach what ended up being the final score. Howell went 3-5 on the night.

Starting pitcher Jordan Armstrong struggled for Auburn, only lasting three innings and allowing two earned runs while getting his pitch count up to 70. 

“Jordan Armstrong’s been tremendous, and he was not tonight,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “Couldn't blend anything with the fastball and got relegated to it… Where I give him credit here is: he never could, even through the 3rd inning with the bases loaded and one out, find his stuff, but he got a strikeout and a pop-up.”

Blake Burkhalter (40) pitches against Rhode Island on March 4, 2022 at Plainsman Park in Auburn, Ala.

In relief of Armstrong came Skipper, who pitched four scoreless innings and allowed only three hits. Skipper allowed only one hit through his first four innings but came in to pitch the eighth inning and allowed back-to-back singles before being pulled.

“Armstrong is a guy that everybody trusts on the field,” Skipper said. “Just was kind of one of those nights for him. It was my job tonight to come in, settle things, extend if needed, and pass the torch to Burky.”

After Skipper allowed the first two batters to reach base, he was replaced by Burkhalter, who was able to get out of a bases-loaded, no-outs jam with three straight strikeouts. Burkhalter also pitched a three-up-three-down inning in the ninth to seal the win for Auburn. Burkhalter allowed the first batter he faced to reach on a single but then recorded six straight outs.

“I can’t issue a walk, so I have to fill up the zone,” Burkhalter said. “Trust my fastball and cutter to finish the inning.”

Auburn’s defense continued to play well, as it only allowed two runs after only allowing one run against UAB on Wednesday.

“Our defense keeps playing great and I know, at some point in time there, there’ll be some challenges, but we undervalue being able to play catch and dominate routine plays,” Thompson said. “That’s what really good ball clubs do. We’ve plated enough consistent defense, and I have a lot of confidence in that.” 

Bryson Ware had a strong day, going 3-for-4 with two singles and a double. He also scored on the passed ball that gave Auburn its lead. 

Auburn improves to 8-2 on the season, and it prepares to square off with Rhode Island again on Saturday in the form of a double header. First pitch for the first game will be at 2 p.m. CST.

Henry Patton | Sports Writer

Henry is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @Henry_Patton23

Share and discuss “Bullpen and DiChiara lead Auburn to win over Rhode Island” on social media.