Denver Bryant walks off against Texas A&M to open weekend series

<p>Denver Bryant makes contact at Jane B. Moore Field against Texas A&amp;M on Friday, March 11.&nbsp;</p>

Denver Bryant makes contact at Jane B. Moore Field against Texas A&M on Friday, March 11. 

With a walk-off home run from Denver Bryant in the eighth inning, Auburn softball was able to up its win streak to 14 games by defeating Texas A&M 5-4 on Friday at Jane B. Moore Field. 

The Tigers improved to 22-1 on the season following Bryant’s second walk-off of the season.

“I was just looking for a pitch I could hit and get on-base,” Bryant said.

The Tigers had to mount a comeback in their first conference game as they trailed 4-1 and weren’t able to pull even until the seventh inning.

“I’m proud of the effort that I saw out of our team this evening,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “We continued to battle until we found that timely hit late. KK Dismukes kept us in the game. She had a great night in the circle.”

Shelby Lowe started the game for Auburn and allowed three earned runs and gave up six hits while only lasting two innings. 

Lowe was replaced by Dismukes who was able to pitch five scoreless innings allowing five hits and striking out six batters.

Maddie Penta came into pitch in the eighth inning and held the Aggies scoreless to earn the win on the night. The win was her seventh consecutive victory and improved her record to 14-0 on the season.

Auburn started off the scoring in the bottom of the first with an RBI single from Jessie Blain. Blain ended the night going 2-3 with a walk.

The Tigers went down 4-1 in the top of the third but immediately responded with a two-run home run from Lindsey Garcia to cut the lead to 4-3.

Both teams held each other scoreless until the seventh inning when Nelia Peralta was able to reach off of a double and then score off of an error from the A&M first baseman. Peralta went 2-4 on the night.

Garcia batted in three runs on the night including the game-tying run.

In extras, Texas A&M was able to load the bases, but Penta was able to settle in and close out the top half of the inning. 

From there, Bryant was able to come to bat and homer Auburn to its third walk-off victory of the season.

Auburn will look to clinch the series against A&M on Sunday, March 13. Auburn and The Aggies will play a double-header due to inclement weather conditions on Saturday. First pitch will be 11 a.m. CT on Sunday and will be broadcast on SEC Network+. 

Henry Patton | Sports Writer

Henry is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @Henry_Patton23

Share and discuss “Denver Bryant walks off against Texas A&M to open weekend series ” on social media.