No. 18 Auburn run-ruled in first game of Kentucky series on Friday

No. 18 Auburn was run-ruled 11-3 by No. 13 Kentucky on Friday to open its weekend series. 

Sophomore Shelby Lowe got the start and the loss in the circle for Auburn but her SEC pitching struggles continued to plague her, pitching only two and a third innings. Before her night in the circle ended, Lowe gave up five runs, all of them earned, as well as four walks. 

Junior KK Dismukes came on in relief of Lowe. Dismukes gave up six runs, four of them earned, as well as seven hits in the three and two-thirds innings she pitched. She collected two strikeouts before allowing a game-ending grand slam in the bottom of the sixth inning. 

“We left the ball over the plate too much tonight,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “Even when we got ahead in the count, we gave up hits. We must be more competitive in that situation. We started the game strong at the plate, but when Kentucky made a change in the circle, we struggled to make adjustments at the plate.”

Kentucky struck first in the bottom of the first inning, scoring two runs to go ahead 2-0. With runners on second and third with two outs, senior Renee Abernathy hit a two-RBI double to right-center field to score both runs before the inning came to a close. 

Auburn responded in the top of the third inning. With one out, junior Lindsey Garcia hit a solo home run to close the gap against Kentucky. Freshman Bri Ellis earned a walk, but was left stranded on first with two consecutive outs to end the frame. However, the Tigers scored one to bring the score to 2-1. 

Kentucky continued its hot start into the bottom of the second inning. The Wildcats matched Auburn by scoring one run via a single with runners on first and second by junior Rylea Smith. The Tigers caught senior Kayla Kowalik in a run down between second and third for the third out, but Auburn sophomore Denver Bryant was injured in the play and was replaced in the lineup by sophomore Sydney Cox.

The Tigers responded once again in the top of the third inning. With runners on second and third with one out, freshman Nelia Peralta doubled to tie the game at 3-3. Peralta was left stranded on second base when the half-inning came to a close. 

Kentucky continued to answer the Tiger offense in the bottom of the third inning. A single and a walk with one out saw Dismukes coming on in relief of Lowe. With two outs, sophomore Meeko Harrison doubled to score two runs for the Wildcats, bringing the score to 5-3 after three complete innings. 

The Wildcats added to their total in the bottom of the fourth inning. Two consecutive singles and a passed ball had runners on second and third with one out. A sacrifice fly by graduate student Lauren Johnson scored Kowalik from third to extend Kentucky’s lead to 6-3. 

Kentucky put the game out of reach in the bottom of the sixth inning with a five-run frame. A leadoff single and two consecutive errors allowed the first run of the inning to score. A single, a fielder’s choice and walk loaded the bases for the Wildcats with one out. Abernathy then hit a grand slam to put Kentucky up 11-3, effectively ending the game due to run rule. These runs accounted for four of Abernathy’s six RBIs. 

Three hitters for Auburn went 2-for-3, including Peralta, Garcia and senior Aspyn Godwin. Peralta led the team with two RBIs, with Garcia accounting for the other.

Auburn could not collect timely hits with runners in scoring position, or just on base, to stay in the game. Throughout the game, the Tigers went 2-14 with runners on base for a .143 average and only collected three team RBIs. Kentucky improved in the aspect of timely hitting since its series with Alabama, which ultimately earned the win tonight.

The Tigers will be looking to even the series against the Wildcats tomorrow, March 26. The first pitch will be at 12 p.m. CST, broadcast on the SEC Network. 

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “No. 18 Auburn run-ruled in first game of Kentucky series on Friday” on social media.