Three Auburn gymnasts win weekly SEC awards

<p>Aria Brusch reacts during a gymnastics meet between Auburn and Kentucky in Neville Arena on Feb. 25.</p>

Aria Brusch reacts during a gymnastics meet between Auburn and Kentucky in Neville Arena on Feb. 25.

After a meet that saw Auburn break its program record with 198.575 and another meet where the Tigers tied their road record with 197.750, three Auburn gymnasts were awarded SEC weekly honors.

Sunisa Lee was named Gymnast of the Week, Derrian Gobourne was named Co-Specialist of the Week and Sophia Groth was named Freshman of the Week.

For Lee, this is her fifth time earning the honor of Gymnast of the Week this season. Against Florida, she earned a 10.0 on beam, a 9.95 on bars and a 9.975 on floor. She capped off her impressive scores by winning the all-around title against Florida with a 39.800.

On Sunday at the "Elevate the Stage" event, she once again won the all-around title with a 39.700. She won beam at the event with a 9.975 and tied her vault career-high with a 9.925.

Gobourne earned her first Specialist of the week award.

The senior recorded the first 10.0 of her career on Friday against Florida on the floor which was what the Tigers needed to earn the tie against Florida. She also scored a 9.9 on both vault and bars against Florida.

Gobourne also claimed the bars title on Sunday scoring a career-high 9.975. She also scored a 9.900 on floor to help Auburn tie its program road record at Elevate.

Groth earned her third freshman of the week honor.

Groth competed in the all-around for the second time in her career against Florida and finished with a 39.700 on Friday. She scored a 9.975 on floor and a 9.925 on bars to set new career-highs on both events. She also scored a 9.95 on beam to tie her career-high.

On Sunday, she earned a 9.875 on floor, a 9.9 on bars, and a 9.925 on beam.

The group hopes to build on their strong weekend performances on Saturday, when they travel to Ann Arbor, Michigan for a meet with West Virginia and Michigan. The Michigan Tri-Meet starts at 3 p.m. CST.

Henry Patton | Sports Writer

Henry is a sophomore from Dallas, Texas. This is his second year with The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @Henry_Patton23

Share and discuss “Three Auburn gymnasts win weekly SEC awards ” on social media.