Auburn opens full week with win over JSU

Auburn softball celebrates after Jesse Blaine gets a home run 3/19/22

Auburn began its week with a foundational 9-1 win over just-north Jacksonville State University. A number of starters were out as the Tigers opened what will be a five game week. 

Maddie Penta got the start in the circle, entering the game with a 19-4 record and leaving with another one in the win column. She pitched four innings with just one run on two hits. Penta got through the first clean before allowing just a single hit in the second. 

The Auburn bats opened hot in the first, but not enough to score any runs. Lead-off Lindsay Garcia singled, followed by an Aubrie Lisenby walk, but the Tigers got nothing done after that. Both were left stranded and the Gamecocks quickly answered.

JSU’s Megan Forner homered to right field to take their only lead of the game, but Penta struck out the next three to bring up the Auburn offense. Carlee McCondichie bunted to third base, earning only a single but then was pushed home by a home run from senior Aspyn Godwin. 

Kelsey Schmidt tripled and then was scored on a Garcia fly-out. Auburn left the second up 3-1 with three runs off three hits. 

"Just having confidence to succeed when I have the opportunity is a big thing for me," Schmidt said. "I'm a big thinker. For me, I try not to think. I try to keep the confidence I have."

The third was dry, with neither team getting a single run or even hit. In the bottom of the fourth, Aspyn Godwin walked and Kelsey Schmidt pushed her home on a double that made it to the outfield wall. 

The fourth ended with some chaos that the Tigers took advantage of. Lisenby singled, advancing Garcia to second and Blaine walked, loading the bases. Paige Geraghty entered the game to run for Blaine. 

Ellis doubled into left field, where a shortstop error would allow Lisenby and Garcia to score. Ellis advanced all the way to third and scored off a Cox single. 

"It's not surprising. She's a strong kid and if she stays within herself and keeps her swing, she can hit a lot of pitches out of the yard that an average hitter can't," Dean said. "She just hit a simple line drive that almost knocked the left field wall down."

Freshman Ellis entered the game having hit 16 home runs on the season, batting in 34 runs with a .295 average. She is an offensive weapon that the Tigers have needed in the stretch of the season.

"It's always hard to get out of a slump, but especially when it keeps going and it just wouldn't stop," Ellis said. "I'm really proud of myself because I worked really, really hard. I'm glad to be where I'm at and continue to get better."

Auburn left the inning with six runs off five hits and just one error, run ruling the Gamecocks to end the game. 

The Tigers face Chattanooga Wednesday at 4 p.m. CST in another non-conference matchup before spending the weekend in Starkville, Mississippi for their series against Mississippi State. 

Callie Stanford | Sports Editor

Callie Stanford, junior in communications, is the sports editor at the Auburn Plainsman. Currently a junior, she has been with The Plainsman since January 2021.

Twitter: @Stanford1Callie

Share and discuss “Auburn opens full week with win over JSU ” on social media.