Plainsman's Choice 2022 Best Gym: Auburn Rec

From the track to the basketball courts, Auburn University Campus Recreation and Wellness Center offers many workout options, and that's why its been named the best gym in Auburn for Plainsman's Choice 2022. To name a few options, the Rec has has group fitness classes, personal trainers, multiple swimming pools, a rock-climbing wall and racquetball courts.

Maddie Harris, a supervisor at the Rec, said the Rec Center excels because they have an awesome team, from student workers to professional staff.

“Every time I give a tour of the facility everybody always talks about how our facility looks brand new even though it’s almost 10 years old now because it’s just kept in such great shape,” Harris said.

Free tours of the Rec Center are offered every weekday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m. with a request form that can be found on its website.

For those who like to work out with a buddy, some of the group fitness classes members can take are yoga, tigerpump — a choreographed strength training class — cycle, pilates and butts & guts. Group fitness passes are $20 a month or $50 for the semester. However, for the month of April, Cycle 45 and Night Cycle are free. 

The Rec Center also provides programs outside of the gym, such as Auburn Outdoors, which coordinates outdoor trips and offers equipment to retreat to nature. At Auburn Outdoors folks can rent mountain bikes, kayaks, tents and more. 

The Rec Center is open Monday-Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 12 to 9 p.m. Memberships are available to purchase for Auburn University staff, faculty, spouses of faculty members and retirees.  

Abigail Murphy | Operations Editor

Abigail Murphy, senior in journalism with minors in history and women and gender studies, is the operations managing editor at The Auburn Plainsman. 

@Abigail_Murphy_

Share and discuss “Plainsman's Choice 2022 Best Gym: Auburn Rec ” on social media.