Auburn construction's status update and progress

The newest addition to Auburn University's campus, the Tony and Libba Rane Culinary Science Center, still under construction as of April 25, 2022.

Auburn University seems to be under constant improvement. Behind the fences and PPE warning signs, there is real improvement taking place on and around campus. Here are five of the biggest projects Auburn is currently building.

Academic Classroom and Laboratory Complex

The 151,000-square-foot facility will become the second largest classroom space on campus, next to the Haley Center. Replacing the dated Parker Hall and Allison Laboratory, the $83 million project will hold 2,000 students in 20 different adjustable spaces. Construction, which started back in spring 2019, is now down to landscaping, interior decorations and lab equipment.

Tony & Libba Rane Culinary Science Center

Located next to the The Hotel at Auburn University, the Tony & Libba Rane Culinary Science Center was initially funded by a $12 million gift from Auburn Alumnus and Great Southern Wood Preserving CEO Jimmy Rane. It supports several programs in the College of Human Sciences, including hospitality management, culinary science, event management and hotel and restaurant management. The project costs are estimated at $112 million, making it one of the most expensive educational facilities at Auburn. It will, however, generate revenue with operational food venues and hotel spaces. Currently, the builders are putting interior finishes in the building, such as tile ceilings, windows and other aesthetic touches. Expect this to open in August.

Football Performance Center

The 233,000-square-foot facility is one of the most high-profile projects Auburn has ever constructed. Built to replicate facilities that were built at Clemson and Ohio State, the Football Performance Center was inspired by former head coach Gus Malzahn. The $92 million price brings with it two full-sized turf fields, sports medicine facilities, outdoor fields, offices, meeting rooms and weight rooms. The facility also features facilities designed to entice recruits, such as a barbershop, recording studios and even a flight simulator.

“This is the largest athletics project that has been undertaken,” said athletic director Allen Greene. “This is grand in scale. So, while this ceremony may be a little bit small, a little bit intimate, know that the impact is incredibly large.”

The construction team is currently putting in utilities, erecting walls and installing the brick exterior. The project is set to finish in September of this year.

Quad Residence Halls Renovation

The first of five planned renovation phases is underway. The Quad Dorms, originally constructed in the 1930s and 1950s, are being renovated in pairs for five years until they are all renovated to modern standards. Currently, Harper and Broun halls are under the knife, where crews are replacing mechanical, electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems. The dorms are scheduled to be finished before students move in in August. Little Hall and Teague Hall are likely the next to be renovated.

Lowder Hall Financial Collaborative Lab Renovation

The Harbert College of Business is one of the most popular colleges at Auburn University, teaching over 6,500 students in 2021. Lowder Hall is the primary building facilitating the college’s programs. This project is renovating around 4,000 square feet inside Lowder to create two state-of-the-art labs. These labs will be designed to teach students essential skills in the finance industry, such as investment banking, asset management, sales and market trading. The crews are currently installing HVAC systems, sheetrock walls and a variety of electrical systems. The renovation is set to be finished in June. 

This story is also available in our Camp War Eagle edition here and in stands.

Dylan Fox | Sports Writer

Dylan Fox, Junior in Civil Site Design Engineering, joined The Plainsman as a sports writer in Spring 2020. From Geneva, IL.

@DylanBFox

dbf0012@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn construction's status update and progress” on social media.