Plainsman Park to receive significant upgrades

Mar 14, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Overall view during the national anthem before the game between Auburn and Little Rock at Plainsman Park. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

On Tuesday, the Auburn University Board of Trustees announced that the home of America’s pastime on the Plains will get some extra love. Plainsman Park is set to receive additional renovations in the Plainsman Park Development Center - Phase II plan, with the goal of enhancing fan experience and ensuring Auburn as a program is competitive with its peers for years to come.

The new vision of the project encompasses three key upgrades: the expansion of the first base stands including premium seating, concessions and club space, additional premium seating, stand expansion and concession improvements over the Josh Donaldson Hitting Lab; and lastly, the introduction of a “unique viewing area” atop the Green Monster in left field, complete with concessions and restrooms.

After a year that culminated in Auburn’s second College World Series appearance in three seasons, the upgrades were considered to be beneficial for sustained success by Director of Athletics Allen Greene.

“Enthusiasm for Auburn baseball has never been higher. Coach Butch Thompson, his staff and student-athletes have achieved remarkable, sustained success, including two trips to Omaha in the past three postseasons,” Greene said. “These improvements will help Auburn baseball continue its trajectory toward a national championship while elevating the fan experience at Plainsman Park. We appreciate the Auburn University Board of Trustees for the vision, leadership and commitment to help the baseball program reach and remain at the top.”

Thompson expressed his excitement for what the decision could bring to his program in the coming years.

“We’re thrilled and thankful that the Auburn University leadership approved the next phase of upgrades to Plainsman Park,” Thompson said. “I believe in our student-athletes and their families, our staff, our fans, and our university, who have all played a role in getting us where we are today. With an already tremendous footprint of our ballpark, these enhancements will provide our fans with one-of-a-kind experiences in college baseball. They will allow us to continue to put our best foot forward as a program and build on the current momentum.”

Share and discuss “Plainsman Park to receive significant upgrades” on social media.