Auburn's Kemp named SEC Freshman of the Week

After a standout debut at the Georgia State Tournament, Kendal Kemp has earned SEC Co-Freshman of the Week honors. Florida’s Alexis Stucky was also selected.

Kemp was invaluable in the Tiger’s tournament sweep over Belmont, Georgia State, and Marist. Over the three matches in two days, the 6’6” Minnesotan middle blocker averaged 2.09 blocks per set and tied the school record for most blocks in the three-set match against Belmont with nine. 

She tied the record again in the match against Marist. In total, she tallied a team leading 23 blocks. 

Kemp’s serving skills were also on display during the tournament. She banged a team high three aces against Georgia State in game two and recorded five total for the week. She is currently second on the team for serving aces per set. 

Other offensive stats for the talented freshman include 14 kills, 31.5 points, and 2.86 points per set. 

Auburn volleyball will host its home opener Aug. 31 against the Alabama State Hornets at 7 p.m.

Chase Black | Sports Writer

Chase Black is a senior majoring in English education and minoring in sport communication. From Georgiana, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @chaseblack334

Share and discuss “Auburn's Kemp named SEC Freshman of the Week” on social media.