Brahms 'officially done with football'

<p>Nick Brahms lines up to snap the ball during a game against Akron on Sept. 4, 2021, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama.</p>

Nick Brahms lines up to snap the ball during a game against Akron on Sept. 4, 2021, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama.

Auburn's starting center Nick Brahms will not be returning to football this season after undergoing knee surgery this past winter. 

He would have been the most experienced lineman in the SEC, with 33 career starts. Brahms was set to be a sixth-year senior going into this season. 

Earlier today, head coach Bryan Harsin told reporters that Brahms was “officially done with football." 

Despite this decision, Brahms has been at every practice, helping players along with the offensive line and will continue to do so. Similar to Owen Pappoe in the 2021 season, Brahms might have an opportunity to take over in a more mentoring, coach-like role. 

"Football ends. It always does, just is usually not on our timeline that we want," Harsin said. "He tried, after last season. He had the injury going into the bowl game. Then came back just not there physically to be able to go out there and play at the level that he wants to play."

Quarterback T.J. Finley explained that he and his family had eaten breakfast with the Brahms family following the Houston game and after that meal, Finley 'begged' Brahms to stay. Brahms is one of a number of players who returned for a sixth collegiate year. 

Tate Johnson, former four-star prospect, is expected to take over the starting center role. Johnson did not play at all last season, but Harsin said he had a good preseason camp. 

The Tigers open their season this Saturday at home against Mercer at 6 p.m. CST. 

Lily Stewart | Operations Editor

Lily has been with The Plainsman for three years and started out as a Sports Writer before becoming the Operations Editor. She graduates in May of 2024 and is from Washington, D.C. 

Share and discuss “Brahms 'officially done with football'” on social media.